• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanstg

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What technique / product do you guys use to clean cap fouling?
My rifle has developed some stubborn cap fouling around the nipple / bolster area.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
vanstg

I make my own cleaning fluid using; 1 oz - Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, 4 oz - 70% Isoproply Rubbing Alcohol, 11 oz - Tap Water,,, shake it together in a plastic 1 gallon water container and then fill my cleaning bottles. I use this to clean the bore's of my muzzleloader's and around the drum and nipple area, as well as the touch hole area of my flintlocks. I spay these areas as well as the locks and use a tooth brush to scrub with. It works great for me. I always oil afterwards with Birchwood/Casey Sheath Oil. Naturally I just wipe the pan of my flintlocks dry. Don't want any oil there. I find this home made cleaning solution also works great for swabbing between shots. It's an all around product I came up with myself. Cost; about .69 cents a gallon. :)

I just clean mine after each shooting session with hot soapy water when I'm cleaning the whole barrel & rifle... done it for years

Use an old tooth brush to clean it with the above mixtures, you can really scrub it well...

If a tooth brush will remove plaque build-up, then cap fouling will come off as easy...

I use my wife's tooth brush, and she has'nt been to the dentist in years... :: Just kidding... She was there last week... :D

That's sorta what I've been doing. I clean the barrel with hot water & dish detergent. Rinse with with very hot water (almost boiling), run a few clean patches to dry the bore, wait a little for the hot barrel to cool down (and any residual water / moisture to evaporate), then finally oil the bore and outside of barrel.
I scrub the niple / drum area with the hot water & detergent solution (using a tooth brush) as sonn as I finish "washing" the bore, before rinsing. But that has not removed all the fouling. And little by little some very stubborn black spots have built up in the drum area. Don't know how to remove it. Maybe something more aggressive like brake cleaner or something? Don't wanna use a metal brush 'cause I don't wanna damage the blueing.
vanstg

Brake cleaner might help. I don't think it will desolve the buildup but it will totally destroy any oil that has accumulated in it.
After the oil is removed, soap and water should desolve the buildup.
Let us know if it works.

I was at one of them merchandise stores that sell a little of everything cheap... And they had nylon and brass brushes there, 3 for a $1.00 so I got three of each.

What I do is take the barrel out of the stock. Take a tooth pick and put it in the nipple hole. Then I take some "Soft Scrub" (that soft paste kitchen scrubber stuff) on one of the nylon brushes, and scrub around the nipple and bolster area. If it gets real stuborn then I change over to a brass one. After I get all the fowling off, I wipe the area off with denatured alcohol. Now with everything clean, I pull the tooth pick. Then I soap water the rifle barrel as normal, and clean the rifle.

Latest posts

Back