• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap only goes off on second hit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took out my TC renegade and I was using CCI #11 caps. The rifle shot wonderfully, but it took two hits with the hammer to get the caps to go off. Now I did have a couple that went off fine, but most took two hits. I made sure to push the caps down hard on the nipple just to make sure that wasn't it. Is it just bad caps or am I doing something wrong here?

A bad cap, or weak hammer spring, could be the problem, but chances are the caps are not seating all the way down on the nipple. The first hit, is seating the cap, and the second hit is firing it. Caps debris can get jammed up inside the hammer cavity and deaden the strike. But I would try some different caps or different nipple, before doing anything else. Inside diameter of caps vary a lot, between one manufacturer and another. Nipples can be filed or chucked up in a cordless drill and polished, to remove burrs, and obtain a better fit. Not, too loose as to fall off, but a perfect fit, so that cap seats correctly. Also the face of the hammer, needs to strike the cap, pretty much squarely.

I am guessing that the nipple has "mushroomed" at the top and the cap isn't setting squarely on the nipple. The nipple edge should be sharp. Check and see if is flattened. If so take it out chuck it in a drill chuck and use a file or tool stone to return it to a sharp edge. :idunno:

It's a typical problem with the TC's.
The hammer isn't really hitting the cap the first time it's getting jammed up.
Simple fix;
Pull the Lock,, there are two screws holding a "bridle plate" in place,, if either of those screws are the tiniest bit loose the bridle plate allows a little thing called the "Fly detent" to slip out of position and stop the hammer short.
The "Fly" is a little arrow shaped bit of metal that allows the sear to skip past the half cock notch,, it's flops around on the tumbler and held in by that plate.
Here's one in a Lyman lock, very much the same as TC;

HPIM0589.jpg

So,, while you have the lock out, clean it well with a degrease agent like Brake cleaner, dry it well and re-oil,, tighten those screws completely and it should work fine. Lock internals need cleaning and lube/maintenance on a regular basis.

sand or file down the nipple. every once in a while you might have to do this to a new nipple. to make the nipple smaller in diameter. just a little bit usually does it. might be the lock but try the nipple first.

This has happened to me twice in the last 2 years mostly after a lot of shooting. First on a T/C renegade which cost me me a large bear :cursing: and recently on my T/C Hawken. This time the bridle screws were just a little bit loose.

The first time Necchi advised me of the same thing and I think he actually used the same pictures and it fixed the problem.

On the Hawken I knew what to do, I checked the bridle screws (2) and they were loose and used Carb cleaner and re-oiled and everything is fine.

I also replaced the nipple on the renegade and then cleaned the lock per Necchi's advise and reused the old nipple with no problems.

As he said this seems to be a problem with the T/C's and he seems to be right. Twice with mine.

Now I clean and re-oil the locks more often.

To the OP. I had the same problem with my Silver Elite. I pulled the lock to find it needed a good cleaning.

Pallyme; I had the same problem on my Investarms. Cleaned and tightened the lock (better but not perfect), polished the nipple (a little better), got new caps (no improvement), replaced the nipple. Finally it shoots reliably.
Sometimes I just have to keep asking for advice and trying new things.

Latest posts

Back