• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caplock conversion in War of 1812?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinflint

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently I acquired a smooth bore flintlock converted to caplock. It also appears to have suffered a barrel explosion. The caplock conversion looks crude but the mechanisms still function. The stock has some unusual nail stud decoration and there are leather strips woven around the barrel.

The piece is from an estate sale of an avid collector of unique and historical items. An attached tag reads, “bad day at Black Rock”. I presumed this may have been associated with the Mexican-American War but cannot find a “Black Rock” connection.

The only “Black Rock” reference I have found is tied to the War of 1812 when fighting took place in an area that was then just outside of Buffalo, NY. The Dec. 30, 1813 British raid was a success and culminated in the total destruction of Black Rock. In January 1814, Buffalo was similarly destroyed. The aforementioned tag on the piece seems aligned with the outcome of the battle as well as the blown out barrel.

My question is: Could a flintlock have been converted to caplock in this timeframe?

I’ve read that caplocks didn’t get patented until 1807 and the percussion cap not manufactured until 1822. Also. I’ve read that all firearms used during the War of 1812 were flintlocks.

If anyone has other “Black Rock” associations with another time, I would love to hear from you.

Attached are a few pics of the piece.

Thank you all very much.
IMG_3839.jpeg
IMG_3840.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
So that looks like a very old and beat-up "Indian gun", once used by a Native American.

"Black Rock" is likely the Black Rock desert area, which is between Fenly, NV and Denlo NV (South to North) and Sulphur, NV and Swede's Place (East to West). The area in present day is smaller than the older, historic area, and on many modern maps does not reach the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation, but I think that gun probably came with a story about how the last shooter had it up in the Black Rock desert area hunting, and blew it up . Likely a person from the Pyramid Lake Reservation.

"Bad Day at Black Rock" is also the title of a film starring Spencer Tracey where he is a wounded vet coming to the fictional town of Black Rock to pay respect to the father of a dead Veteran, the Veteran having saved Tracey's life in Europe. That veteran was the son of a Japanese immigrant and the townspeople killed the man due to bigotry and covered up the murder, before Spencer Tracey arrived, and in the movie Tracey uncovers the murder. I don't recall in the movie anybody using a caplock trade musket, so I don't think the gun was a prop BUT you might want to watch the movie and pay attention to stuff hanging on walls in the background as it could have been on the set in that move. It may just be a souvenir from the movie

LD

Last edited:
Caps were not yet invented during the war of 1812. So the conversion would have been later.
I agree that looks like a conversion and sold long after to Indians
And abused long afterwards

No it would not have been converted during the War of 1812. The first Percussion musket adopted by the US was the Model 1842 Springfield. That gun is a mystery. Its tacks and leather might denote native usage. The lock doesn't fit the mortise that it's inserted into. Doesn't mean it hasn't been there a long time, but it's not the origin lock. The trigger guard looks to be sheet brass, not what you'd see on military weapon. Too me it looks like the barrel is originally percussion, the lock wasn't made for the gun.

So that looks like a very old and beat-up "Indian gun", once used by a Native American.

"Black Rock" is likely the Black Rock desert area, which is between Fenly, NV and Denlo NV (South to North) and Sulphur, NV and Swede's Place (East to West). The area in present day is smaller than the older, historic area, and on many modern maps does not reach the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation, but I think that gun probably came with a story about how the last shooter had it up in the Black Rock desert area hunting, and blew it up . Likely a person from the Pyramid Lake Reservation.

"Bad Day at Black Rock" is also the title of a film starring Spencer Tracey where he is a wounded vet coming to the fictional town of Black Rock to pay respect to the father of a dead Veteran, the Veteran having saved Tracey's life in Europe. That veteran was the son of a Japanese immigrant and the townspeople killed the man due to bigotry and covered up the murder, before Spencer Tracey arrived, and in the movie Tracey uncovers the murder. I don't recall in the movie anybody using a caplock trade musket, so I don't think the gun was a prop BUT you might want to watch the movie and pay attention to stuff hanging on walls in the background as it could have been on the set in that move. It may just be a souvenir from the movie

LD
LD,

Thanks so much for your deep response! Never heard of the movie and will take a look. Also, your mention of the Nevada desert reminded me that there is a Black Rock there as well. The Indian aspect seems viable and may be what I am left with.

Thanks again.

S

Caps were not yet invented during the war of 1812. So the conversion would have been later.
I agree that looks like a conversion and sold long after to Indians
And abused long afterwards
Tenngun,

Thank you for the response and confirmation.

S
No it would not have been converted during the War of 1812. The first Percussion musket adopted by the US was the Model 1842 Springfield. That gun is a mystery. Its tacks and leather might denote native usage. The lock doesn't fit the mortise that it's inserted into. Doesn't mean it hasn't been there a long time, but it's not the origin lock. The trigger guard looks to be sheet brass, not what you'd see on military weapon. Too me it looks like the barrel is originally percussion, the lock wasn't made for the gun.
Conquerordie,

Thank you for the detailed response and insight. I hadn’t appreciated the aspect of it actually being a “modified” percussion vs. a converted flintlock. I will inspect further, but I agree with your assessment. Perhaps the original lock had failed and a lock from a salvage piece was retrofitted to allow further use.

Thanks again!

S

Back