• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps Everywhere!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChefP said:
Thanks for the helpful info. I was looking at the straight ones, so now I won't be wasting any time or money on one. For the record, the powder itself is still sealed.

I've got a snail and two of the straights. I prefer the straight cappers for my long arms and use the snail for my revolver. :idunno: We all have different wants and needs. And use different brand caps. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Ted Cash rifleman's capper when hunting with my percussion gun. At the range or at a match, I use a Civil War type (the kind with the fleece) on my belt.

This is the Ted Cash Brass Universal Capper I was talking about that I referred to as a 'tear drop' shape...

TedCashBrassCapperbalanced.jpg

the telescoping cardboard tubes that machine tools come in would probably work also and if you have access to a machine shop they are free

Heck, I thought I'd have twice the firepower that way. Listen, I'm green, but I ain't thick! :)

On another note, if the weather plays out tomorrow like they're predicting, I'll be at my buddy's place and may finally get to fire this thing. He's been shooting bp for quite a while, so everything will hopefully go as planned. I'll let you all know, if interested.

My wife makes jewelry with beads and such and hooked me up with a little screw-top container for the time being. I've got my eye on a couple brass cappers on other sites. One snail and one rifleman style.

I have found that the nicest powder horn filling devise is plastic squeeseable Ketchup/mustard containers. The refillable type they often sell in supermarkets in the kitchen widget isle. Trim the pointed spout end back till powder flows nicely and still fits into the spout end of the horn. Once a bit of powder is out of the container you can squeese it to speed the process along. BJH

All good advice, but dont forget the funnel at the end of your arm, in a pinch just make a little hole and pour carefully, yeah you'll spill a tiny bit of excess but that will stimulate you to remember your funnel next range trip Good smoke, Ron

I had different types of cappers out the yazoo but found the simple round/oval piece of kinda, sorta stiffish but not to stiff or soft leather with holes punched toward the outer edge that held the caps tight my preference. I put on a lanyard on it to carry it around my neck.

The Cash teardrop or snail-shaped capper won't fit into the cylinder of my Uberti Remington New Army .44 revolver (but it will fit my Uberti 1851 Colt Navy, .36). For the Remington, I have to use a long-style capper. I have both styles of cappers, but if were to have only one, it would have to be the long style.

Either style of capper works fine with my percussion rifles or single-shot pistols. The snail-shaped capper is much easier to charge with caps - just dump them in. The long style makes you charge them one at a time, which can be a bit maddening, particularly with old or stubby fingers.

Certainly not traditional but a good storage solution and also very effective are the little containers that you buy artificial sweeteners in. The hole is the perfect size for a no. 11 cap. Price is right.

I'm really looking forward to getting my capper(s). Handling them by hand is tough in good weather.

All I use for a capper and I do have about 6-7 of them, is the Cash long capper. I don't need to handle the caps one at a time, I just dump the caps in from the tin. Then kind of shake the capper with the lid off as if you were panning for gold. In a little bit, they will all be standing in the direction they should be.But, there is always ONE stubborn one that refuses to turn over.

Back