• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps for 1860 Army and Navy revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recently purchased an 1860 Army and 1851 Navy reproduction revolvers. What size caps do I use with each of these guns? Do I use #11 with one and #2 with another or do they usually take teh same size caps?

On my Uberti 1860 I use CCI #10 caps but as they are a bit loose and will jump off with recoil, I squeeze the slightly oval and they work fine.

Perhaps Remington or another manufacturer's caps will fit tighter? I haven't been able to try them yet.

While I use CCI's on my rifles, I have found that the Remington #10's work better on my 1860's. They just seem to fit a bit tighter and don't end up in the action :wink: On my ROA's I use RWS, the Remingtons seem to be a bit long and occasionally stop on the ridge on the ROA nipples. This leads to misfires.

My first outing with my Uberti 51 Navy I used the CCI #10 caps, had misfires like crazy. Now use the Remington #10 caps - never had one misfire and they don't fall off. Just wish they wouldn't get stuck in the action :wink:

I have a 60 Colt and a 58 Remington, both Pietta. The Colt takes #10 and the Remmy takes #11. On my Colt CCI works best. Remingtons are a lil loose and RWS are really tight. CCI's fit snug without a lot of seating pressure and don't tend to back off like Remingtons do. On my 58 Remingtons work well which is a good thing because in a #10 Remington is all I can find locally.

Ok, I speak with much experience with Uberti Cap and ball pistols,
I shoot them most every weekend and manage to get through a 60 round "cowboy" match without one failure to go boom.
Replace the Italian nipples with TRESO nipples from The Possible shop, then Remington # 11 will fit perfectly.
Now go make some smoke.
Neely

Back