• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caribou hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckskinner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
anybody ever do a caribou hunt with ML?

ive never tried caribou but heard it taste really good.

anyone tasted it?

Lots of discussion here. It tends to be lean but mild, especially in the fall. It can be stronger when taken in midwinter on skinny rations. I compare it favorably to very good mule deer with no sage.

I have had caribou on several occasions. To my knowledge, all were shot in the later season (December-January) and all I have eaten was absolutely delicious!

An Alaskan buddy served some up for me once years ago. It was good. I don't know the details of when he got it though.

Bou is pretty tasty. I like the ribs grilled with BBQ sauce.
You can cook the rest just like any other four legged critter.

HD

I went to northern Quebec on a caribou hunt back in 1997. Had a terrific time. Got my caribou. (not muzzleloading)
However, I don't think the meat was all that great. It is "okay", but I like deer better.
Between pronghorn, deer, caribou, elk, and moose - I think moose is the best by far.
But, its all just a matter of personal taste.

I've had it a couple of times at game dinners and it was always in meatballs. Had steaks once at a friends house and they were ok, nothing to brag about. Been told by more than one person that you don't want a rutting caribou to eat. That might be why I always see it as meatballs at game dinners. :hmm:

I guess I should add that my friends are meat hunters, and all the caribou I have eaten is from younger animals... no "trophy" bulls.

There's a lot to that Baron, at least during rut. In the areas where folks live on caribou there's a saying: "Cows are for dinner and horns are for tourists." Before or after the rut bulls are just fine, though they have less fat afterward.

On two trips to Finland, I've eaten a lot of reindeer {semi-domesticated caribou} which eat the same tundra diet and it's delicious. Reindeer in Finland is sold commercially and is readily available in retail stores. I agree that moose is the best eating large game animal, followed by elk and then whitetail deer. Have eaten mule deer and it's surprisingly good considering what they eat. All of the above can make excellent meals if the meat has been properly cared for and is cooked in a manner that lends itself to wild game. Once gave some steaks off a whitetail hindquarter to a non-hunting friend and he broiled the meat well-done, thinking that if they're "steaks" then that was the proper way to cook them. He remarked later on that the venison was the toughest meat he ever ate and it ended up in the gaboon. I was very remiss in not telling him the proper way to cook it, which in our family is braising or cutting thin , marinading and unto the Weber.....Fred

Medium Rare is the best way to cook all Game meats. It keeps them from getting tough as leather at even " medium", and maximizes their flavor. Because wild meat has so little fat, I like to cook them "wet" by wrapping cuts in aluminum foil, with butter, salt and pepper, onions, peppers, and a sweet, tart apple, all cut up, to roast in the oven or over a fire. The meat should be so tender you can cut it with a fork. That's the best eating! A little wine in the package helps to flavor the meat, too. I don't like grilling anything unless its just to sear the surface to close the meat up and retain the blood in it. That is a 15-30 second " zap" depending on how hot the grill is. Then I bake the meat to complete the cooking to medium rare, for best flavor. Do this with fresh liver, for instance, and bake in a covered roasting pan with water, ( wine added) white onions, and bacon strips on top of the liver steaks, and what you eat you will swear is prime Rib! I developed a cult following of people who liked my liver, and every time I got a deer, a call would go out, and people would gather to help each up all the fresh liver they could stuff down their throats. Someone always brought a new person, just to have them taste " GOOD " liver. That is how the group grew.

Mr. buck-skinner,
Here in our subsistence area we are permitted two Caribou apiece. We take only "meat" animals and for the last ten years or so, have used muzzleloaders exclusively.
Though we take the best care possible, invariably have found the Caribou meat to be stronger in flavor than either domestically raised Reindeer or Whitetail Deer. Certainly a lot stronger than Moose. An interesting observation however, is that the Caribou is not as strong smelling when/after field dressing, compared to Deer. Yet when cooked, the Deer are milder in flavor, imho.
We always marinate the Caribou steaks, turn the hamburger into Italian Sausage and make a lot of seasoned jerky. All of which is excellent eating!
Next season will be hunting with a selfbow and flint tipped arrows, health permitting.
Know one young fella that took one with a spear. Dang Caribou about kicked him to death! But that is another story.
Best Wishes

"Know one young fella that took one with a spear. Dang Caribou about kicked him to death! But that is another story."

Having been on the receiving end of cattle most of my life, I don't think I'd have the huevos to push a pointy stick into a caribou. Your young friend gets my wholehearted :hatsoff: for bravery, but leaves me wantin to do the driving if we were ever in a truck together.

I'll second or third the part about not shooting a mature bull and expecting good eats. Took a few caribou while stationed in Alaska, mostly young ones or cows for meat but did shoot one for the horns. My wife said if I ever did that again I'd be eating the thing by myself. Tad bit on the strong side.

There are ways to get the strong blood taste out of the meet as you process it, if you are interested. Send me a PM, and I will give you details.

Rancocas said:
I went to northern Quebec on a caribou hunt back in 1997. Had a terrific time. Got my caribou. (not muzzleloading)
However, I don't think the meat was all that great. It is "okay", but I like deer better.
Between pronghorn, deer, caribou, elk, and moose - I think moose is the best by far.
But, its all just a matter of personal taste.

I agree with you about moose. It is the best wild game I have ever had.

HD

Back