• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caring for brass accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avid6gnnr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wonder what anyone may suggest as a cleaning compound to clean up my tarnished brass accessories. They are pretty bad, and will need a full refurbish job after the late PA flintlock season.

Thanks for any comments.

I just use Brasso and old rags...keeps my TC Hawken brass showroom ready.

If the brass has years of buildup on it, then it usually helps to get a couple quarts of white vineger at the grocery store (.79cents) pour it into a big bowl and submerge the brass parts in it for 24-48 hours, then use the brasso.

Roundball got it dead on. Brasso works like a charm. During an all expense paid vacation, thanks to my uncle Sam, I became very well acquainted with Brasso. :grin: It is the best stuff out there.

Brasso does work quite well, but it can ever-so-slightly scuff the surrounding wood finish when buffing. After cleaning the brass, I have found that rubbing the entire stock (wood and brass) w/ Minwax Paste Finishing Wax keeps a beautiful shine on the stock and seems to keep the brass from tarnishing quite so quickly.

Oops! I just reread your post. With the accessories, just use the Brasso. Thought you were talking about the brass furniture. Sorry about that...

Brasso would be the best - but watch it on the woodwork. Personally - I just let mine tarnish as I don't want all that reflection in the woods.

:hmm: Heck, by the time I get done applying Brasso to all the brass on a TC Hawken, I have so much overwipe on the stock in all those areas that I just wipe down and buff the entire stock with it...then I go over everything with a rag damp with WD40 to wipe off any excess...many years now and never noticed any problems, stocks look great

You can use salt and vinegar to remove the tarnish quickly, if you don't have Brasso. It actually works faster than Brasso.

On severely tarnished items I have buffed them with scotch brite pads and then polished them with Mother's.

I let mine tarnished,I like mine tarnished,I don't want to take the tarnish off, :v :v :v

I like mine with the tarnished look. Bought a new powder measure and I wish it would tarnish to match everything else.

J-B Paste bore cleaner and Flitz metal polish will work very well, too. After having a "traditional" sailboat with a lot of brass I got so I don't mind grungy fittings on my rifles. Camo, don't you know.

Once you get it cleaned wipe it with boiled linseed oil and it will stay bright longer. I let mine tone down a bit and then hit it with linseed oil so it stays neither bright nor barnacle green with lichen & c.

If you want to darken brass dissolve a bit of blackpowder on a water dampened rag and wipe it on, then rinse it off well.

Back