• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always carry a pistol when deer hunting. Usually my .50 percussion Mountain Pistol. It's not for protection or for a finishing shot. I've been blessed and lucky enough so far to never need a finisher. I carry it because I do enjoy handgun hunting so, if one gets close enough I'm comfortable with the pistol, I'm ready for that. And my woods are very thick and dense. Sometimes a ten inch pistol is easier to work with than a 33 inch rifle barrel.

It does
That's why I'm asking. I've never carried a side arm hunting for the last 40-odd years, but the idea of a flintlock pistol interests me. I don't need it, little of what is addressed on this site is needed, but it has interested me lately so I thought I'd ask.
not matter what others do just do what you want to do if you are interested in a pistol get one and enjoy it also I am always armed with a handgun of some sort

I often oprn carry a very small unmentionable. I used to carry bigger ones but they are unnecessary weight in the high country. One year I did carry my 1860 Army. A couple shots at a grouse about ten feet away. Missed!! In Colorado it's unlawful to do a finishing shot with anything other than the weapon that is legal for the specific license and hunt.

I've finished two deer with balls to the back of the head. They weren't necessary but neither was it necessary to stand by and watch them die.

I have carried a back up pistol when deer hunting ever since I could legally do so. {44 years}
Carried a wide array of different guns. Nowadays I often carry a cap and ball revolver. Either a stainless 1858 or a Colt metropolitan police.

As to why : you don't carry because you know that you will need a pistol, you carry because you don't know that you won't. In my time I have needed my pistol four times. Three times because of the failure of the primary weapon and once when some idiot tried to run me off my own land. {Didn't draw but was mighty glad I had it.)

Those are the times I needed a pistol, but there are a lot of times when it's just handier. If you have ever tried to track your deer through a Michigan cedar swamp you can see the advantage of a pistol. Same goes for standing corn. In a pinch it is also a signaling device.

If you want to carry, do so. If not, don't. For me it makes sense.

IronHand

P. S. For safety and convenience I prefer a full flap, cross draw holster. It keeps the gun cleaner and cuts down on the "hammer snagged on brush" problem.

I have a .50 cal. flinter that I use to carry with me, don't hunt any more, too old (sniff)! But I had one deer years ago that needed a follow up shot and it came in handy. I do have a CCP and to be honest, never even considered that I would need it but that was awhile ago!

Attachments

• IMG_0644 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0644 - Copy.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I have a .50 cal. flinter that I use to carry with me, don't hunt any more, too old (sniff)! But I had one deer years ago that needed a follow up shot and it came in handy. I do have a CCP and to be honest, never even considered that I would need it but that was awhile ago!
That’s a nice looking pistol, my friend. A lot of people would be reluctant to carry such a fine piece into the deer woods. However, beauty is as beauty does, and it sounds as if your pistol did the job when needed.

Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

I used to carry a Ruger Old Army for a back-up shot when muzzleloading but don't now due to the weight. It came in handy when I misjudged and shot a small buck low and broke a front leg. He hobbled closer to my tree stand and I used my revolver to deliver a killing shot from ~40 yards. He took off and dropped about 50 yards away.

I've also used it if I saw a small hog or two and didn't want to reload my rifle in a climbing stand.

ROA Pig.jpg

3ptFE10-12aWEB.jpg

This is from the Colorado Parks &Wildlife website
I took this screenshot a few years ago and thereafter was carrying a pocket pistol whenever I hunted. I can no longer find it on their site and therefore no longer cc when hunting. It might still be there but in today's political climate I'd not trust in it.

Screenshot_20240701-154532_Gallery_copy_800x313.jpg

Back