• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying small game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether hunting w/ a MLer or CF, the only thing that changes is the gun.

I use a hunting vest w/ a rear game pocket and have found it very accommodating for squirrels, cottontails, snowshoes, grouse and woodcock and at times, all of the above.

Don't like carrying an over the shoulder bag.....too restrictive and it flops around. Many times any kind of shoulder "bag" would have been too small and unbalanced.

I'm mainly a meat hunter and really don't care if I'm HC as far as carrying game.....Fred

flehto said:
Whether hunting w/ a MLer or CF, the only thing that changes is the gun.
I use a hunting vest w/ a rear game pocket and have found it very accommodating for squirrels, cottontails, snowshoes, grouse and woodcock and at times, all of the above.
Fred

I agree with Fred......robin :metoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
With a bag you can take it off while sitting...
with a vest it's all the weight all day.
The wide strap makes a big difference.
I'm built like a cylinder.no bag flop here..haha
The last thing I wanna do after an all day hunt is clean game by field dressing and cleaning on the spot the weight is much reduced.
It's great to see how others prevail.
thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

That's how I've always done it here in West by God Virginia. Stick through the leg here as well. Don't know if it's PC though

Here's my interpretation. The game hook I made from a old pitchfork tine. The hemp bag was bought at Kalamazoo many years ago, it 15" wide 14" deep. I do line the bag with a canvas bag so the blood doesn't rot the bag.

Jerry

Truth be known, there are good reasons for both when lots of game is taken.

Our ptarmigan limit is 20 per day, and at something over a pound each, you'll tire of hand carry quick when walks are several miles. I stop and dress the birds and put them into a daypack periodically.

Similarly, there's no closed season and no bag limit on our snowshoe hare. At something approaching 5# each for the big ones, you can build up a heck of a load in a hurry in good years. One notable morning a bud and I took 36 between us in a couple of hours. Field dressing and packs are mandatory, even if you carry several in your hand before stopping to dress and bag.

Which points up the fact that, like most other things, there's no one-and-only proper way. Everyone's situation is different, everyone usually will adapt to his needs and solve the problem in a way best for him. I've carried squirrels, rabbits and fish on a stick or a cord more than once, I've hung them on my belt, I've hung them on a limb and picked them up on my way out, but those are never my first choice. My game bag is what works best for me in my situation, otherwise I'd be doing it some other way.

Spence

Back