• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cartridge papers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a website a while ago and they had listed paper suitable for rolling musket cartridges. Well of course, I didn't need any then, but now I do and I don't know who carried it. Any help out there?

There is a verry recent thread on this forum about this subject. But if it helps I use Post It sheets. I wrap them around a dowel the correct size I need, for the cartridge or shot cop needed. Certainly not P-C but handy. BJH

Don't know about that website, but if you go to Meijer's (if there is one in your area), you can get a pad of newsprint paper. Probably most big dept. stores would carry it. It works quite well for cartridges, and is relatively inexpensive.

I went to a craft store , such as Michaels or MJDesigns,no,it was hobby lobby.I found rolls of paper that were the same colour as grocer bags,but not as thick.Bought two and they have lasted me a couple of years all four about 4 dollars.You do want to have thin paper or it will not tear and will pull your tooth out!Conversely, you do not want it tissue thin either.Hope that helps,mate.Best regards,Jack.

Most any bond paper will work. If you have a printer & town paper locally they will probably sell you short rolls they can't use because there's not enough on them for printing purposes. Have bought several with 10 to 20 feet of paper left on them for a couple bucks. If you like to experiment with color & texture try picking up some of the cute papers copying shops keep for teachers to use for variety. It costs more but is available in many colors and textures. There was also a site that had the paper pre-cut and printed to look like 18th century news print. Just the thing for real oldy looking paper cartridges...if I could just recall who! "Look at me...I'm the poster-boy for CRS!" :youcrazy:

There was also a site that had the paper pre-cut and printed to look like 18th century news print. Just the thing for real oldy looking paper cartridges...if I could just recall who! "Look at me...I'm the poster-boy for CRS!"

Yeah, I know, that's the one I was looking for. :hmm:

I go into a Local 7-11 and even though an old geezer is asking for cigarette papers---they look at me like I'm rolling mary-jane---I use cigarette papers ( non-nitrated ) and they work just fine in my Sharps Cavalry Carbine. :hatsoff:

Printed newspaper can be a little messy. Reader's Digest Condensed Books are pretty good and almost free at yard sales. Bibles might be thinner and better quality paper, but chopping up a bible seems like unnecessary provocation :nono:
20# Xerox paper works if you have good strong teeth. 16# or 18# Xerox paper is better but hard to find.

I go into a Local 7-11 and even though an old geezer is asking for cigarette papers---they look at me like I'm rolling mary-jane---I use cigarette papers ( non-nitrated ) and they work just fine in my Sharps Cavalry Carbine. :hatsoff:

The nitrated paper is suppose to work even better, the paper is almost all consumed in the blast...

when i had a 54 sharps i used the paper, stores put in the box with a shirt when you bought it.

You can buy rolles of cigarett papers with about three feet worth on it.Go to a cigar shop and you should see them.They don't have the gum on them but from what I understand you tie them with string right ?they are cheap to bout $2.50.

You can buy rolles of cigarett papers with about three feet worth on it.Go to a cigar shop and you should see them.They don't have the gum on them but from what I understand you tie them with string right ?they are cheap to bout $2.50.

prerolled.jpg

Howdy Boys.

:eek:ff: as we were taking about paper cartridges for a muzzleloading musket, not a brechloading "paper cartridge" Sharps. One is just a carrying tube to load from,the other is the round to go into the firearm.

Musket = carry tube

Sharps = cartridge

Musket = carry tube
Sharps = cartridge
Am I the only one who stuffs the paper cartridge "carry tube" along with the ball (as wadding) down the bore when loading my Charleville musket? I use lightweight cheap brown paper lunch bags.
Jack

Musket = carry tube
Sharps = cartridge
Am I the only one who stuffs the paper cartridge "carry tube" along with the ball (as wadding) down the bore when loading my Charleville musket? I use lightweight cheap brown paper lunch bags.
Jack

No... but to work your "carry tube" doesn't need to be consumed when fired like a paper cartridge in a Sharps or a Colt revolver(if loaded by paper cartridge)... your wadding blows out the end of the barrel.

If you shoot both (like me), the different is quite clear.

Back