• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carved horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ron. That is why I asked. Those long necks cause real problems in holding the horn while you work on them.

The only Better Idea I have seen is a version of a leatherman's "Harness" vise, where a leather strap is attached to the bottom of one jaw, and it is wrapped into a loop OVER the horn, then through a slot in the other jaw, leading to a loop in which you put your foot. A padded U-notch is at the bottom of the jaws, to support the horn from the bottom. Leather tabs extend from the padding on the notch up over the slot where the strap goes through the second jaw, and where the strap is attached to the first jaw, insuring a 360 degree contact of leather padding around the horn, regardless of diameter.

Tension put on the loop puts tension on the loop holding the horn. Lifting your foot allows the horn to be quickly and easily be turned. The leather strap is damped with water prior to use, to give it better hold on the horn.

I haven't made one of these, but its on my mind if and when I get around to working on a couple of horns. First I have to build a press to flatten some of the smaller horns..... :grin:

I want to thank everyone for the very nice comments. I am just getting started with horn building but it has captured my attention like nothing else ever has. I have a long ways to go to get to the level of some of you but with luck and perserverance maybe I will make it.
Paul, I would really appreciate A picture of that "horn vise" if you have access to it and the time to indulge me. That sounds very interesting.
Ron

May I ask you where you purchase your raw horns from? Do you handpick them? They have a nice shape/twist.
Thanks,
BillK

Latest posts

Back