• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cast vs swaged ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys I was wanting to see what you guys think. IF all elements where equal which would expand more a cast or swaged roundball made of pure lead ? I have always wanted to test it but I havent done it yet. My opinion is that a cast roundball would expand more because the flat spruce on it would help start expansion. what do you guys think ?

dose make a guy wonder :hmm: I don't know but all my guns like cast balls.

The button buck I shot this year with a .50 hornady ball expanded enough to make the wound channel look like it'd been hit by what I used to use, 20 gauge 1 oz. Winchester Super-X sabots.

SS, once you seat a cast ball the sprue is all but nonexistant (assuming a moderately tight patch/ball fit in the bore).

I have seen here somewhere a picture of a cast ball and a store-bought swaged ball one atop the other introduced into a vice. The cast ball flattened a lot more than the swaged ball under the pressure of the vice jaws.

It is my belief that the store bought swaged balls are not always as soft (pure) as the seller would like for you to believe.

Skychief.

I shot a Hornady swaged ball into a tree. It's as flat as a pancake. Probably more than it would do in an animal, but I carry it around in my pocket. It makes a good conversation piece.

no differance what so ever. pure lead, is pure lead. the sprue on a cast ball is too tiny to make a flat nose sufficient enough to add expansion. if it were big enough, it wouldn't be round, just mutated. good question none the less.

Latest posts

Back