• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting Lead Musket Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gettysburg63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got into casting lead musket balls. I am using a furnace made by Lyman. I am also using a ladle for my casting. Now my ? is I casted 10rds today and I notice that the bullets look wrinkle not sure what the temp. is so would that make the bullets wrinkle. I was also told to warm the mould, not sure how hot the mould should be. Mould is made by Lyman as well.

Thank you

Ten is not enough to test much of anything, including your casting technique. You can just put your ladle or mould into (on top) of the lead, it will heat up just fine. Use a steady rythm for your casting so temp and pouring rate is consistent. There is a learning curve. We have all had the wrinkle woes. Those who will admit it still do at times. :wink:

going with Rifleman. You need to a couple dozen, minimum to get the mold up to proper temp., the reason for the wrinkles. Just keep at it, I learned using an old scissor-mold marked "13", surely balls per pound, and melted lead in a #303 can on mom's gas stove and poured by grabbing can with pliers and poring into mold. Safe...no; possibility of an 'uh-oh'...high; slow?...absolutely; fun...you better believe it!!

I echo all of the above, when I worked in a commercial casting operation we ran the molds around under the pots while the pots heated up, then we would do 5 pours in each mold and throw bullet, sprue and everything back into the pot before we made or first bullet for either in house or sale.

Casting balls can be a relaxing and rewarding experience. I would suggest, in the casting of round balls, that you return wrinkled and imperfect balls to the lead pot until you get one which looks good. When I use my Lee 58 cal mold this process takes about 12 rejected balls. When I use my two part Lyman 58 cal miniball mold it takes at least that number and I am sure to use pure lead or the round's skirt won't engage the musket's lands and grooves in a satisfactory manner.

the Rifleman speaks true: ten is way too few to really get anything going ...

while I realize that this may come off as petty and selfish, I put aside a whole afternoon to casting (which I do way too much in my wife's view, and not nearly enough in my own - probably means that i'm doing it just often enough in reality) ... so I make several hundred (and often I make several different calibers)

you're on the right track: the wrinkle means that something is too cold - -I would look to the mold first, as this is the most common problem ... just keep going ... keep casting until your mold comes up to temperature and you should be OK.

throw the wrinkled ball back into the pot - no harm done.
just one guy's advice, mind you: free, and no doubt well worth the price!

I like to plan a casting when my wife goes shopping with my daughter or some such activity that keeps her busy for a few hours. I enjoy just getting into the "zone" where the casting is effecient and the round balls come out perfect. It does take my mold more than 10 castings to come up to temp even when left over the furnace. Then the wrinkles go away and the perfect spheres appear. Best to do without distractions.

Latest posts

Back