• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting safety question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question about casting lead round balls - particularly on where is the best/safest place to do this.

I was planning on casting lead round balls in my garage on a work bench under a window with a fan mounted in the window blowing/pulling air to the outside for ventilation.

Is this a good place or set up to cast bullets?

I would rather do it there instead of running an extension cord out into the car port and rigging up some sort of bench to set the casting furnace on.

What kind of set up do you guys have?

sounds good to me. Use an old towel to cover table top and it will catch odd pieces of hot lead after its loaded up you can burn it and salvage some lead. I dump balls out of mould into a 9x9 pan with denim liner.sort them when your done.glove on mold hand is good.glasses a must!
P.S. don't wear shorts and sandals.
smoke mould with candle or use some graphite spray,alchol base only. print shops /rubber mould manufactures a source.
just my 2 bits worth.

I do pretty much what you do!
outside, in the shop, doors open, fresh air exchange, well ventilated!

I'm just getting set up into casting as well, and just use the garage with the door open, that should be enough ventilation. I wear jeans and steel toe boots, leather gloves, safety glasses, and a face mask, to further help with those fumes. I also wore a hat last time to help absorb sweat...a drop of sweat into the pot, or onto some lead going into the pot, will cause a steam explosion

good point, JohnnyO- i usually wear a hat outdoors (once a service habit and now that i'm going bald, i don't want a sunburn)...

also be sure to wash you hands thoroughly after you cast

Sounds like a pretty good set up. I use my work shed with all the windows and doors open. When I first started, I sat out on the back patio. I have a Lee Production Pot IV and use a 6 inch heavy metal pie pan under the spout to catch any excess lead that drips or spills from the mold. Just remember to use the softest and purest lead you can get. Caution should be taken, though! Casting can become addictive. Happy casting :thumbsup: .

Any time you are casting in any building, no matter how many window you have open, unless there is a steady breeze blowing through and taking out the fumes from the casting pot, its wise to use a fan inside the structure to blow the fumes out the nearest window, and position yourself between the fan and that window. Don't breathe the fumes. :hatsoff:

That sounds like a pretty good setup. The key here is ventilation. Not just random air flow, but ventilation away from you. Your window fan is ideal for that. I haven't been able to setup a ventilation system indoors that draws air away from me while I cast, so I cast outdoors. I set a fan on the other side of the pot, blowing away from me. Works well in good weather.

You're right, Paul. I have a small fan in the window blowing the fumes outside. Almost everyone have already mentioned a fan, so I just left it out. Good watching out :thumbsup: !

Pretty good advise so far. If I cast in the basement (and that is where I cast in the winter) I use an old garage sale range hood exhaust fan vented to the outside. it is located just high enough above the melting pot to allow good access and carry away the fumes. Picked it up for a buck. Use common sense and all will go well. I fold an old bath towel 2-3 times and use that as a cushion to dump the cast balls/bullets.

when I cast in the garage I had a fan behind me creating a breeze blowing the fumes away from me.
and venting out of a door. Also the hotter the melt the more fumes. Some people cast way too hot.

Thanks everyone for the info. I was thinking my set up was going to work but just wanted to double check.

Also, on casting bullets - I've read several times on posts like this about dropping cast bullets on towels. Are the towels wet or at least damp - wouldn't a hot round ball on a dry towel scorch it at the very least?

Use a dry towel that's folded a couple times to make it as soft as possible. Hot bullets won't scorch the towels but be sure to retire that towel from household use. GW

I second the comments regarding casting temp -- only go as hot as you need. Lead won't gassify until it reaches something around 1000F. Nevertheless, I always use a well ventilated area. Be sure and keep ALL liquids away from your work area and wash your hands with dishwasher liquid like Cascade. I've read that the Phosphorous in dishwashing soap will better remove any lead residue from your hands.

Latest posts

Back