• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Catfishing in Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Contender

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one on the forum close to table rock lake in Missouri
Need to know if catfishing is good there at the end of july.

Moved from the Kansas City area two years ago. We use to slay the catfish all the way up until late fall at Table Rock and the southern branch of Lake of the Ozarks. We used chicken liver and a prepared bait in a jar called BeeJays. Good stuff, I can smell it now! July was a great month if you could find a quiet spot away from all the personal watercraft that always seem to be going way too fast! If you ever decide to fish Lake of th O, let me know and I will tell you where we fished near Camdenton. Real easy to find and good sized cats. Mr. Whiskers has always been my favorite to fish for.

Hey Doc,I don't know about Table Rock,but I live on the north side of Mark Twain Lake in north Mo. and the catfishing is fantastic. If you want to have a good time,just wait for a good rain to get the creeks running hard,and the catfish go on a feeding frenzy,most of the time you only want to have one line baited in the water,otherwise you can lose you rods and reels,trust me I have lost some.
If you like to do the set lines,the end of May is normaly good. I have caught several Flathead and Blues in the 20lb. to 45lb.range.

Here is a good one. My friend and I were fishing a county lake in Kansas. We were fishing on the boat ramp at night as there was zero activity. A guy shows up and starts showing us his new Garcia rod and reel that he got for his birthday via the wife.

He asks if he can fish next to us and we say sure dude, grab a beer and cast away!

He puts some shrimp on a bottom rig and casts it in. He lays the rod down and walks back to his car to get his cooler. That shrimp wasn't in the water 10 seconds and his rod and reel took a leap into the lake. We tried for about 30 minutes to snag his rod but no luck.

Explain that one to the wife. I thought I heard some sniffles as he walked back to his car. Haw !

Story #2: My same friend and I were fishing in Lenexa, KS at a very small city pond. A guy was there with about a 3 yr old kid. He had a Snoopy rod/reel combo. Something that bluegill would give you a good fight with. They put some liver on and cast in. Then they walked away. My friend noticed the rod heading torwards the water. He took a dive and grabbed it before it went in. He handed it to the kid who came a runnin and he had a 3 pound cat on the line. Freaking hilarious ! Snoopy almost went deep six.

Back