• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centennial 1960 Colt 'replica'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPJACK

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have one of these pistols. I know of the FROCS site, but was wondering what they are worth. I replaced the nipples with some I found on the net that only needed some slight lathe work on the body diameter and depth that use #11 caps. It is one of the models with the ship engraving.

Thanks

Jack

Can you share a picture of your Centaure for a quick classification?
I could be one of three models.
Long Johns Wolf aka FROCS #2

Here are some picts. Serial # is 2570

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    111 KB
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    143.5 KB
BPJack and campfire: Your Centaure is a Regular New Model Army (RNMA) 2nd variation 1st sub-variation: 3-screw frame with notches in the recoil shield and a toe on the butt for the attachment of a shoulderstock, 8" barrel. Assumingly 7 rifling grooves.
According to the serial number she was made in 1963.
The hammer is period correct of the 2nd version.
The barrel marking most likely reads "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK CHICAGO U.S.A.
Your #2570 is fitted with a cylinder with the so called Centaure proprietary naval engagement scene. It is similar to the Ormsby scene but has less background details. It was roll-engraved at the Belgian factory which is in contrast to the RNMAs of the 3rd variation with the Ormsby naval scene. The latter was applied at the shop of then main distributor Centennial Arms Corp. of Lincolnwood, IL, U.S.A.
Among other proof marks of the Liège proof house the left side of the barrel lug and frame and the cylinder carry the inspector mark * over U sideways. It was the mark of one Jaques Fuchs. Fuchs served at the proof house in this function between 1960 and February 1968.
These Centaures look from the outside like the real thing with many parts being compatible.
Their Belgian makers had a production license from April 1853 by Sam Colt himself to produce Colt percussion revolvers to certain standards. The license was never terminated.
The Centaures were constructed between fall of 1959 and early summer of 1973 as rugged target revolvers. Hence, the diameter of their rifling groove diameter is adjusted to the chamber diameter which is .446". Hence the recommended ball size is .451". The rifling is a modern shallow one. These two factors combined mean less gas leakage and a flatter trajecory compared to 1st gen Colt Armies, Italian clones incl. 2nd/3rd gen Colt Armies. No offence meant!
Particularly the cowboy action fraction competing with percussion revolvers like them in Europe if they can lay their hands on a well maintained pair. Many of the variants are sought after by Centaure collectors including your RNMA 2nd var./1st sub-var.
Without a physical to check functioning incl. the condition of bore and chambers I hesitate to quote a value.
Anything else you want to know just let me know.
Long Johns Wolf

Thanks for the detailed information.

I took some pictures with a cheap scope. The bore shows some discolorization close up. The cylinders look great.

Thsnks

Jack

Attachments

• barrel front.jpeg
    barrel front.jpeg
    92.3 KB
Back