• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chain Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. I just LOVE that image. I never grow tired of seeing it! Every Noob should be made to watch a video of this type (night) shooting, so they learn where NOT to rest their hands, lol!

Zonie, I did a net search and they say 400 degrees but I'm sure I didn't have the burner that hot and also I'm sure I didn't have any wax run over the pan into on to the burner. I had the heat on medium or low. In any event the stuff kept flaring up.

And...on the chain firing. About 1-2 years ago there was a big dicussion and a lot of the chain firings occurred on the first cylinder of the day. Why was the question... Then it was determined that on those occasions the shooter did not snap caps over empty chambers to burn off any grease. The notion was entertained that oil on the nipples might have made them slippery and more prone to the caps getting knocked off on the first cylinder of the day. The concensus was to snap a cap on each nipple to burn off any grease and leave a slight residue before loading up.

MY ROA's use #10 caps, both have factory nipples. The 10's fit snug, and I use a wooden dowel, sanded to a taper, to push them down on the nipples. My ROA's, shoot good with Black MZ and clean-up is much easier, than any other powder, that I've tried. I use .457 ball and wad-over-powder.

snugging the caps onto the nipples is mandatory to prevent both chain and misfires. keeps powder dry for reliability.

Blizzard of 93 said:
lot of fire around the nipples. make sure caps are a tight fit on the nipple.

4420close20up.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Look where the hammer is? Is that a light hammer? ir did the chamber charge blow it back?

The photographer used a flash that stopped the motion of the hammer, then the hammer set off the charge so what you have is two photos in one.

Many Klatch

Fast flash, slow shutter speed.

The flash stopped the falling hammer and the still open shutter got the gun firing.

It's pretty easy to see why it was common at close ranges for the gun to set the victim's cloths on fire back in the days of black powder.

I've read more than once of that happening.

Perhaps this year we will have our club do a 3-yard shoot with fanning revolvers into a target frame "dressed" in a shirt similar to one from the period. I think after 3-4 shots with all of THAT fire coming out the muzzle, those shirts should go up in flames. If they don't burn like I want them to, maybe I'll give them some help with some period-correct substance to do the "helping', lol!

Then we'll celebrate our "Mythbuster" experience with some grilled venison and smoked pork chops from our recent harvests, lol!

I just might give ol' Hickock .45 a run fer his money, lol!

Dave

I set an indoor shooting range on fire with an 1860 Colt once. Unburned smokeless powder from thousands of suppository type gunshots had collected in the expansion joint in the concrete floor. Sparks from my shots eventually reached the powder and I was treated to the view :shocked2: of a slow match burning across the width of the shooting range. The expansion crack was probably 10 feet from where I was standing.

So yes, there is considerable fire coming out of the muzzle.

BTW, after about my 2nd or 3rd shot at this indoor range all other shooting had stopped and all I heard was one shooter yelling to another. "What in the &^%$ is he shooting?" This in a range where shooters were blazing away with AK's and magnums. :grin:

Many Klatch

Back