• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Early Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Completed this 2 mos ago and had a pleasureable time because of the quality components. Comments welcome....critical or otherwise. Engraving by Tim Adlam....Fred

CopyofCopyofSLanIIIOA.jpg

CopyofCopyofSLanIIIPatchBox.jpg

CopyofCopyofSLanIIILSCheek.jpg

SLanIIILSCheekwTG.jpg

CopyofCopyofSLanIIISVSight.jpg

SLanIIITVButt.jpg

CopyofCopyofCopyofSLanIIIBotTG-1.jpg

Very nicely done, Fred. Great example of a Lancaster School Rifle. I also like the engraving done by your friend. It goes well with the stock carving, and vice versa.

Now, that's a rifle!! Very nice. Carving, engraving, and all else, simply excellent! You sir, are a craftsman. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :bow:

Beautiful rifle! I like the nice flow in the carving and engraving. Nice photo background too. :applause: :applause: :applause:

very Nice!

I've spoken with Tim a time or two. very nice and talented fellow. Why didn't he engrave the trigger guard? Was that the style for that particular rifle?

In any case, A beautiful rifle. Love the carving too!

take care,

Tom

Wow Fred! excellent work! what technique did you use on the brass to make the grooves look dirty (make them stand out).

Thanks to all for the kind words. The .54 cal. bbl is 44" lg. Tim is a very talented artist/engraver and usually I have to tell him to minimalize his engraving....most originals aren't as good. The brass was covered w/ 44/40 gun blue and selectfully rubbed back w/ 0000 stl wool. Yields a very slightly aged finish and suppresses the brightness of the brass even in the more rubbed out areas. Usually build 2 Lancasters simultaneously...one from a Chambers kit and the other from a blank using the Chambers precarve as a model. A Bucks County got in the way so the other Lancaster blank is presently being inletted for the bbl and RR by David Rase. At 77 a guy has to hurry to get 'em all done....Fred :wink:

Most at your skill level have a tendency to somewhat over do a rifle IMHO, I guess it's hard to hold back when you have that kind of talent and skill. I have a friend who is a builder and restorer, so I get to see all kinds of new and originals.
Yours is what I would call a masterpiece... Flawless layout and execution, of both quantity and quality engraving and carving.
Oh yea, the negative part
scared00161.gif
, 1/2 shade darker maybe.....
Bottom line-------- WOW! :hatsoff:

Thanks for your kind comments. It's not a "M" by any stretch of the imagination...not compared to many other much more talented builders. I do hobble along though. Was disappointed how the color came out in the photos....the orange undertones are much more evident than "in person" where the color is a darker, reddish brown. Thanks again....Fred

I used Jim Klein's stains through out. First 2 coats of orange toner, then 1 coat of dark brown and finally 1 coat of reddish brown. A complete dry between coats. Then a brisk rub down w/ 0000 stl wool to remove surface stain and lighten the color in normal wear areas. 2 soak in/wipe off coats of LMF sealer w/ a complete dry between coats. Then 3 ultra thin hand rubbed coats of Wahkon Bay Trucoat w/ a complete dry between coats. The final finish has a very low sheen that requires a lot of buffing w/ a fluffy towel to bring out any shine at all. I leave it dull. As was said previously, the actual color is a deep reddish brown w/ excellent curl contrast.....Fred

Back