• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Change in group

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What 40FLINT said.

65 gr. load is probably pretty accurate for a 50 cal. with a short-ish barrel at 50 yards. After that distance unpredictable things seem to happen and I agree that it is due to the mysterious sound barrier phenomenom. You could try boosting the load to try maintain velocity over 1,200 fps out to 100 yards.

"..'tis easy to find the most intellegent man in a crowd. His opinion is the one most like your own." Mark Twain

L.Dog

laffindog said:
You could try boosting the load to try maintain velocity over 1,200 fps out to 100 yards.

For what it's worth, my 50 cal GPR is really fond of 80-90 grains of 3f. It really smokes deer inside my 75 yard limit, and is virtually as accurate at 75 yards as at 50. The deer I shot last year was about 35 yards. It dropped in its tracks at the shot, bounced up and took 3 or 4 steps, then dropped for good. Won't EVEN claim it knocked him off his feet, but it sure took the wind out of him.

I'm still going to see what happens with my pattern with larger loads but I spoke to a guy at Goex about 65grain 3f load for hunting and he felt that would be just fine.Thought I'd let other people that might be wondering the same thing I am know about that.Thanks for the opinions.

Latest posts

Back