• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

changing nipple size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the current shortage of percussion caps, I have run out of #11s and none are to be found locally. I do have quite a few old, really old :shocked2: , #10s on hand. Dunno why. :idunno: I've never been much of a pistol shooter. Oh, well. But have a match coming that will require me using one of my pre-cussin rifles that normally takes #11s. What to do? Sez me to meself, "Make the 10 fit, dummy." I replies, "OK".
So, here I am. You can see a #11 nipple chucked up in my drill press and a flat needle file ready to go at it.
When you chuck, tighten gently, do not crush the threads.
I used the needle file, a coarse diamond lap and finally some fine sandpaper.
This is an Ampco nipple and now it accepts #10s just fine. When those run out and/or 11s are back on the market, I can change back.
I encourage folks to do their own thang for their own use. You get what you need or want and you get it the way you want it and there is satisfaction in doing fer yerself.
nipplechuck.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Your on the right track. :)

Personally, I never chuck on the threads when I'm resizing the cone on a nipple.

The jaws of a power drill's chuck are hardened harder than the nipple and they can produce a tremendous clamping force.
This force can easily flatten the nipple threads.

The nipple is harder than the drum/snail/cylinder that they are screwed into and if their threads are damaged they will mess up the hole while they are being screwed into it.

Rather than clamping the chuck on the threads, with some careful positioning it's easy to locate the chucks jaws on the unthreaded larger body of the nipple right above the threads.
Clamping on the body of the nipple, the clamping pressure can do no harm.

Clamped this way, the cone will still be exposed for filing. :)

Zonie, I considered that. But, since I have, maybe 200 used but still good, nipples on hand I decided to risk one for the sake of expediency. (some would call it lazieness :redface: ) I was careful to only use moderate force when tightening the chuck. I also figured the nipple was ampco bronze, softer than the drum steel and I could seat without difficulty. It all worked, there was no visible damage to the threads and the nipple screwed in smoothly. Percussion hasn't been my religion for a long time but I still remembered some of the liturgy. :wink:

I had a similar situation when I bought my gun,all I had was #10 caps so I just pulled the nipple and lightly filed it by hand.I will keep my eye out for a new nipple and that way I can use what ever I have. Bill.

Has anyone thought of screwing a nut on the nipple threads then tightening the chuck on the nut? Just a thought that seems like it might keep the nipple threads protected. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need a musket nipple with the correct thread size. They make 'em. I was going through a box of stuff left from my old reenacting days when I ran across two full unopened large (250) cans of musket caps and a partial can. That's probably somewhere around 600 musket caps. :grin: I then went to my gun tool cabinet and looked in the parts drawer and found a musket nipple that would fit one of my rifles. Now, I am shooting up those old musket caps. I have no muskets nor any other rifle that takes musket caps so I am just going to use them on this one rifle until they are all gone. So far, they all work fine and the ballistics didn't change. :hatsoff: It's a good day in the neighborhood. :wink:

Latest posts

Back