• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charles Daly flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin beers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any info on a Charles Daly 50 cal hawkin. I know it's made by invest arms in Italy. To shoot a prb out of it I had to cut the powder charge down to 70 gr to get a group. The bore looks chrome inside. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it? Could it be maybe a fast twist barrel ? And it has a weird finish on the outside not bluing . Looks parkerized or something. Does anyone know anything about this rifle? Twist? Bore? Any info would be appreciated ?

it has a 1 in 48 twist. that's what t/c has. its a toss up weather it will shoot prb or bullets. try some lead
bullets, .50 caliber, Hornady Great Plains, 385 grain, pure lead, hollow base, hollow point, per 20

bullets, .50 caliber, Hornady Great Plains, 385 grain, pure lead, hollow base, hollow point, per 20

I will try that today. Usually a 1-48 shoots a prb good just odd that it won't . Didn't know if it may have a faster twist . I've shot those Great Plains bullets they do shoot well. I tried to google invest arms and can't find any info on weather that rifle may be a faster twist or if it was an option. Guess I could mark a ramrod with a piece of tape and a tight patch and measure 2 ft to check the twist. Just wondering what everybody else may have found out. I wanna shoot it in for my son he wants to hunt ml season with me! Which makes me happy !

First, I would back off the powder charge to 55 or 60 grains of FFFg. 60 grains will shoot a round ball completely through a deer. If that doesn't help, try thicker patches and Dutch Schults' method, it works........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
First, I would back off the powder charge to 55 or 60 grains of FFFg. 60 grains will shoot a round ball completely through a deer. If that doesn't help, try thicker patches and Dutch Schults' method, it works........robin :wink:

Exactly, if you can shoot a good group with 70 grains of powder, then I don't see what the issue is. If you haven't tried it with 60 or 65 grains of powder, I'd surely try that too, plus maybe a few different patch/ball combinations. I suppose all other things being equal, shooting 80 grains of powder accurately is preferable to 60 grains (from the ballistics standpoint), but I've killed a pile of deer with 70 and 75 grains of powder out of a .50.

I'm more curious about the gun 70 gr not the issue. No problem with that just wanna know what I have. Don't know anything about the gun. Some things are just different about it. The bore looks like it's chrome or something . I never had a barrel that just came clean that easy! Or a gun that would only group with 70 gr. Usually my loads are more like 85 or 90gr. Just wanna know what I have. I'm unfamiliar with the gun and I can't find any info on the internet about it. One week till Pa flintlock season comes in!

Someone was selling one on Armslist.com. It stated it featured a chrome lined barrel. Hope this helps.

Ya I know the bore was different it cleans easier than any bore I've ever cleaned.It just doesn't gum up ! It's nice actually !

kbeers said:
I will try that today. Usually a 1-48 shoots a prb good just odd that it won't . Didn't know if it may have a faster twist . I've shot those Great Plains bullets they do shoot well. I tried to google invest arms and can't find any info on weather that rifle may be a faster twist or if it was an option. Guess I could mark a ramrod with a piece of tape and a tight patch and measure 2 ft to check the twist. Just wondering what everybody else may have found out. I wanna shoot it in for my son he wants to hunt ml season with me! Which makes me happy !

I don't know anything about the gun, but this part has me curious. Are you sighting it in for you to shoot to hunt with your son, or sighting it in for him to hunt with? I'm hoping it is for you.

But 70grs behind a PRB in a .50 is plenty for deer. Have you considered trying 3Fg instead of 2Fg? It may make a difference.

Well I made the stock and went out to shoot it in and shot it a few times. The stock cracked! I was shooting it in for my son. Thought it would be something I made he could keep and use. That's why I was worried about the 70 gr. Just wanted him to have a good chance to shoot a deer that's all. I would rather he get one than me. Lot of kids aren't interested in hunting. He likes to hunt so I'm just trying to get him hooked.

I hope he gets hooked, cause you're right, not enough today are even interested. Just make sure he gets enough range time in with it before the hunt so he knows where it hits for him, since we all use iron sights just slightly differently and that can result in both of you having slightly different POIs even if everything except which of you aims and pulls the trigger is the same.

Back