• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charles Lancaster 19 bore two groove rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bertram

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just love British percussion sporting rifles and this one is quite interesting to me. I bought it cased, but the only tool included was the original mould. The Lancaster records still exist and they show that this rifle was built in 1849, barrels 2ft 8 inches, "thin patch". Well a cast pure lead bullet drops at .624" and the bore is .632", tight indeed. The thinnest cloth patch material I was able to source was .005" thick, too thick to get the bullet down the bore. What to do? The rifle could have come with a sizer or a cross patch cutter, neither of which I have today. I have been considering my options, I know it was not a paper patched rifle originally but maybe? I ordered some patching paper, made a template for patches and dug out the bottle of Rooster Jacket a friend had sent me. Everything arrived yesterday, I cut some patches, wet them and let them dry. Once they dried I applied a small amount of Rooster Jacket, a lube but also waterproofs paper patches and seems to keep the patches on the bullets nicely.

I took it to the range today and seated a bore diameter lubed felt wad(Wonder Wad) on top of 2&1/2 drams(70 grains) of 1&1/2F Swiss, then seated my paper patched bullet on the top of that. It was hot as could be out there today and I hurried 3 quick shots of the truck at 25 yards, 1.5" group all in the bull. I need to cast more bullets and shoot this one some more but I believe that this rifle is really going to like this load and patched bullets.

5DSqW96l.jpg

LNIhGJUl.jpg

4KLqb27l.jpg

Pm31F0kl.jpg

AAhLfGYl.jpg

Never seen anything like that before, very interesting bullet. that’s pretty awesome you got it to shoot your first go round. Beautiful rifle, keep us posted on the range report.

I have a Purdey 2-winged projectile percussion rifle. I have always just put a felt wad over the powder and pushed the bullet down bare (lubed upon loading). I never thought about paper patching. I may have to try that. My groups are okay, probably average 3-inches at 50 yards, and as such I have never thought of it as anything more than a 75-yard maximum range rifle. Your Lancaster rifle is very nice and your paper patching is a great idea.

Back