• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acetone/AutoTrans Fluid - Tested to be THE BEST thread penetrating solution going!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHAT!! no beeswax in the mix? I thought beeswax was good for everything. deodorant hair tonic paint brush cleaner etc. šŸ
Project farm did a test on penetrating oil. nobody does better tests then that guy and liquid wrench was near the top

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to get the old ATF-(donā€™t remember if it was the Ford or Chevy kind) because the modern stuff didnā€™t work. Has anyone else heard this?
That is the Dexron II ATF, it works best with the acetone. Most parts stores still carry it and sometimes Walmart. Been using it, along with Kroil and it is a little faster than Kroil on really rusted nuts & bolts.

Be warned the acetone will evaporate out unless itā€™s kept in an airtight container. My repurposed military lube bottle didnā€™t keep it for long.
It's also toxic to your liver and can be absorbed through the skin. We used it to clean salt plates in chemistry for nuclear magnetic resonance, but that was in the 1980s.

That is the Dexron II ATF, it works best with the acetone. Most parts stores still carry it and sometimes Walmart. Been using it, along with Kroil and it is a little faster than Kroil on really rusted nuts & bolts.

Mercon V (Ford)is what I think that I used in mine, my neighbor gave me all kinds of oil when he moved. I use lamp oil on my Ed's as well.

I keep the Kroil for my 22s, it works well getting under all of that goop on my Annies.

I've always kept a spray bottle of it in the garage. I do add a few other oils and solvents to the mix. I also use 50/50 atf and synthetic oil as gun lube.

FWIW the best penetrating oil one can use is a DIY homemade mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Recently ā€œMachinist Workshop Magazineā€ did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they 'scientifically rustedā€™ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:
  • Nothing: 516 lbs
  • WD-40: 238 lbs
  • PB Blaster: 214 lbs
  • Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs
  • Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
  • (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50 mix): Only 50 lbs!
Can that mix be safely stored in any kind of plastic container without dissolving it over time?

I keep mine in a 1 gallon metal paint can. Inside of that is a 1lb coffee can with the bottom cut out. I attatched aluminum mesh with a hose clamp to secure it. I keep a small glass jar in there for really small stuff. I will remove the grips and completely submerge my unmentionables that arenā€™t plastic. Cleans and lubes them beautifully.

Attachments

• IMG_6743.jpeg
    IMG_6743.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6744.jpeg
    IMG_6744.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6745.jpeg
    IMG_6745.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6746.jpeg
    IMG_6746.jpeg