• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charlie's Tree Seat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a "design" for those of us who aren't inclined for a tree stand but would like to sit where it is dry and comfortable. This is a concept I stole from Dean Torges (www.bowyersedge.com) and modified to my own tastes.

treeseat.jpg

To set the seat the rope is lead around the tree and fed through the three holes as shown. If you tighten it well with the seat at about a 45

For those that expressed interest I have split this out of Roundball's thread to give better dimensions on my tree seat. It's 12" x 14" with a 2" deep notch cut in the backside of a piece of 1/2" plywood. I tacked a slit length of rubberized high-pressure steam hose on the tree contact edge, but that's just a luxury (cuts down the "squeak" on hemlock bark.

The holes are 1/2", starting at 7" from the back and on one side two additional holes on 1" centers 1" in from the edge. The line is 1/2" Dacron (non-stretch)and eight feet long.

HPIM1069.jpg

HPIM1070.jpg

To install it you pull the line out of the three-hole side (the opposite side has a figure-of-eight stopper knot and stays put) and pass it around the tree and into the closest hole to the front. then back up through the next hole and down through the furthest back. Passing the line under itself locks it in place once your weight is on the seat. You'll have to experiment a bit for the right amount of angle and how high the line passes. I press it against the tree with my knee while working the line.

It can be slung over your shoulder & under a haversack and is easy to transport.

The bit of foam seat cushion is attached with sprat 3-M "77" rubber cement adhesive and really adds a lot of comfort for long sits. I like to keep my hips over my knees so I don't have to lean forward to rise. AMny times a deer approaches from a "bad" angle and that makes it easy to dismount and get a better angle. I have also dropped to one knee and used the seat as a bench to rest my left elbow on.

Just a handy idea that works well. Stolen fair & square from Dean Torges' Bowyer's Edge website & slightly modified by me. His uses a slot in the plywood & multiple knots in the rope but I was unhappy with that as it tended to split out the wood and was hard to get "just so" on the tree.

:bow: I still use a similar seat I made about 40+ years ago out of a piece of 3/4" ply. Only thing different is I rounded out both ends so I could set it into tree forks. Four holes and a length of rope and it converted in a sort of back pack arrangement for carrying.Only problem is that at 78 I don't seem to be able to climb near as well :confused: :thumbsup: .

I can vouch for this design - Stumpy shared the drawing with me a couple of years ago. Made one for me and my hunting buddy and you can't do no better.
This seat attaches to most any tree and jams into the ctroch of two trees real nice. It's small, weighs next to nothin and doesn't make any noise.
Comfy too, if you add a little cushioning.

At 52, I started having a hard time gettin up after sittin on the ground for several hours. Also missed chances at countless deer that came from the wrong direction. With this seat, I can be up in an instant to reposition for a shot. Even noticed my feet (and other parts) don't get as cold when I'm not sittin on the deck. Wouldn't trade it for no store bought seat.
Thanks again for sharin Stumpy! :thumbsup:

Back