• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheap flints in bulk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my first flinter, dont much like paying 4 bucks per flint. Especially as I'm a target shooter, and expect to shoot buckets.

So I'm going to order a double ball mould, and I'm going to order a 25lb lot of powder.

But now I need to know who's got a link to some cheap flints by the bagload.

Bobby.

Best place I know of is the TOW. Most are available in bags of 200. :thumbsup:

Read the postings on the topic of "English Flints" in the Shooting Accessories section of this forum. (I would link this post to it if I knew how). There has been a disruption in the supply of flints and many good vendors such as TOW are out of the more popular sizes. Hard to say what the prices will be when the flow resumes - I just hope that $1 ea in batches of 250 doesn't turn out to be the "good old days".

Don't know where you're located, but it is possible to get some chert or flint from natural deposits and make your own gunflints.

I've done a little on that line, it takes some practice (ok, lots of practice) and at the start my waste to keep ration wasn't too good, but it's getting better.

I only have a small supply of raw flint, and I bought that. But I've been studying geological reports for my state and have located a couple large chert outcroppings about 2 hours west of my house (mostly on public land, so trespassing isn’t an issue). Haven't been able to get a free weekend to run down there and see what I can find. If it's free, I'm not too concerned with my waste to keep ratio, and with more practice I'll get better anyway.

There WERE 2 small chert outcrops in my county (small, as in the larger one was 200 feet long by about 6 feet wide, and the small one was reported to be less than half that according to old geology class field notes I dug up from 40 years ago, but unfortunately when I tracked them down both were inaccessible. One is now under a recently built sub-division, and the other is under an interstate highway. :(

So if you can find natural flint or chert that you can pick up for free, and learn how to knap flints yourself, you’re all set! No more paying $2 for a flint! It's also cool to use stuff you made yourself. I'd make my own black powder, except that's illegal. Sure, my flints aren’t near the same quality as the best commercial ones, but they work fine, and they’re free! :)

I have been mysef using simple agate flints from T/C they are double sided so when one side is finished you can flip the flint over to the other side.

First time I shot one of these things got around 120 shots from one side of a tc agate flint and I was in learning mode.

Some one else will say that cheap is the time to start running for the door.

Every gun is different I know but my Firestorm seem to like the rock almost touching the frizzen at half cock. That is if I shine a small flash light from below I can see a even/square razor thin line of light between the edge of the flint and the frizzen at half cock.

That means of course I do not push the flint as far back in the hammer as possible but as far forward as I can without touching the face of the frizzen with the flint. I also shoot the flint with leather and back off the tension on it after every shooting session to avoid over compression on the leather.

I second that for Rich Pierce Missouri flints, lots of fire in them.

The 1980's days of $25 a gross for English Flints are gone, gone :(

I would think a creek bed would offer all the flint you'd ever need. I know ours are full of the stuff.

Stonewall Creek Outfitters is one of the biggest dealers, so can probably give you the best deal.

Back