• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Question: Which side of the patch do I grease?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been lubing both sides for years. Easier, no misfires, no problems. Keeps the bore good and lubed.

As what has already been said, they are going to soak through anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    936.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I soak my patches so both sides are lubed. On those rare occasions I use store bought dry patches I usually rub them so that the entire patch is coated with lube.

I melt the lube into liquid form and dunk the patches in it with small tongs. On a plate or a pan, I lay down a piece of waxed paper and a dry patch. Dip a second patch, let it drip off and lay it on the first patch. Alternate dry/wet and lightly squeeze the dry one onto the wet one so the lube soaks through. Do this until you have the desired number of patches or the lube is gone. I just keep a can full of lube and keep a lid on it stored away. Bring it out, melt it slowly and lube a couple dozen patches or so. Patches do not need to be sloppy with lube, just enough so you can see and feel it.

New BP/ML shooter here. I have a .50 cal Hawken & intend to shoot .490 balls with patches.

Which side of the patch do I grease? Outer/barrel side? Inner/ball side? Both?

Thanks, Andy in Virginia
Which side of the patch to lube?

Actually, it doesn't matter. A liquid lubricant will soak through and a greased patch will have the grease pressed through. I think that greasing the side of the patch that faces the barrel is a good practice as being consistent in the loading procedure is always part of the best practices when shooting a muzzle loading rifle.

Latest posts

Back