• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap imported flintlock rifles from the 80s.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddogge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone remember those cheap imported flintlock rifles back in the 80s? My brother-in-law and I got suckered into buying one each and I think they were about $25. I don't think I could get mine to spark or fire so I got rid of it.

Does anyone remember those cheap imported flintlock rifles back in the 80s? My brother-in-law and I got suckered into buying one each and I think they were about $25. I don't think I could get mine to spark or fire so I got rid of it.

My dad and brother purchased a couple of flintlocks and a couple of caplocks. They used the caplocks, but couldn't get the flintlocks to fire.

I found one a couple years ago from the Grandson of the fellow that sold them around here. A Snapper Lawn Mower dealer, it had set in the office corner for years. Gave him $60 for a flintlock, because I had an idea that I wanted to try to make it better. I also didn't want to mess up my dad or brothers guns as they both passed. Upon disassembly and further inspection, I was convinced the lock was total trash and the barrel was unsafe at the breech plug. Here are the steps I took; I removed the poorly installed breech plug and cut off a portion of the barrel to remove the thin flat section of barrel that had an unsafe flashole drilled through the breechplug at an awkward angle. I tapped the barrel, made a breechplug, installed a drum and a T/C caplock. I keep the loads modest, although I believe it would hold a hunting load. My dad and brother hunted rabbits and squirrel with their caplocks.

My brothers flintlock on the top and my recreated caplock on the bottom.

20240618_171321.jpg

funny how people think too, about 25 years ago a man down the road from me knew i was an armature gunsmith and all-around gun person. he asked my opinion on a couple of old external hammer shotguns he had. i looked at them and told him they were what was called house brand guns sold to handwear stores and such a 100 years ago and were sold to the public cheap. he wanted to know what they were worth; they were complete junk! rattling and rolling like Elvis and beat all the pieces. i was being kind when i told him 100 busks or so. he told me i was crazy! they are antiques! i thought, well they made antique junk too! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

funny how people think too, about 25 years ago a man down the road from me knew i was an armature gunsmith and all-around gun person. he asked my opinion on a couple of old external hammer shotguns he had. i looked at them and told him they were what was called house brand guns sold to handwear stores and such a 100 years ago and were sold to the public cheap. he wanted to know what they were worth; they were complete junk! rattling and rolling like Elvis and beat all the pieces. i was being kind when i told him 100 busks or so. he told me i was crazy! they are antiques! i thought, well they made antique junk too! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Man, is that ever right! Just because it's old it has to be worth a bunch. Hell, I'm 70, and ain't worth much, and don't expect to gain much value as the years go on! There were a lot of those old cheap Crescent/Baker shotguns made into floor lamps.

My dad and brother purchased a couple of flintlocks and a couple of caplocks. They used the caplocks, but couldn't get the flintlocks to fire.

I found one a couple years ago from the Grandson of the fellow that sold them around here. A Snapper Lawn Mower dealer, it had set in the office corner for years. Gave him $60 for a flintlock, because I had an idea that I wanted to try to make it better. I also didn't want to mess up my dad or brothers guns as they both passed. Upon disassembly and further inspection, I was convinced the lock was total trash and the barrel was unsafe at the breech plug. Here are the steps I took; I removed the poorly installed breech plug and cut off a portion of the barrel to remove the thin flat section of barrel that had an unsafe flashole drilled through the breechplug at an awkward angle. I tapped the barrel, made a breechplug, installed a drum and a T/C caplock. I keep the loads modest, although I believe it would hold a hunting load. My dad and brother hunted rabbits and squirrel with their caplocks.

View attachment 328636
That top one does look like the ones we bought. Thanks for posting. Any idea where they were made?

I have a smooth bore percussion like yours except the lock is a back action and not a very good one I might add. It was made by <AMR> markings on the barrel are Spanish Proof marks and 13.8mm which would make it a 28 ga however my muzzle measures .541 with my calipers making it a 29 ga. It has a serial #151XX & 700kgs which I think is the proof pressure. Mine also has the steel ram rod and the same clam shell patch box.
While researching mine awhile back I ran across this thread. I've had it for a long time and for the life of me I can't remember when or where I got it.
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/old-cheap-spanish-shotgun.1045269/

View attachment 328636
I bought a 28 gauge off GunBroker just like your brother's on top in flintlock. Seller didn't say in the add that the hammer won't stay cocked. Otherwise it is in great condition. Doesn't look to have ever been fired much. Been in the safe ever since. Last year I took the lock out to see if I could get it going but didn't get any further that that. Thinking if I ever fix it I'll darken the wood, lop the barrel off right at the end of the forearm, and make a fun little canoe gun out of it. Probably wouldn't bet my life on it though.

I've had it for a long time and for the life of me I can't remember when or where I got it.
Mystery solved... I told my wife about not recording it in my bound book and can't figure out when or where it came from. She said it was in Larry's office when she worked with him and he gave it to her when he retired in '94 or '95.
I have only shot blanks in it to get our big stupid Irish Wolf hound mix to come home when she decided to go roaming. If I remember right the blanks were 50gr FFG Goex and what ever was handy for a wad.
100_2423.JPG100_2424.JPG

Kassner did a lot of cheap imports. Thye used to be located just outside of Harrisburg, PA. I worked night shifts on the PD there. It was easy to pick up a small bucket of fired brass at their range from all of their test firing.
I had one of their Italian O/U guns until I found that the chokes were weak Mod/IC, not Mod/Full as indicated on the barrel. No wonder it didn't work well on waterfowl.

Back