• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap Strong Ram Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bamboo is a grass and has a high silica content. It is abrasive. I wouldn't use it.

Plus, being hollow, it would be impossible to taper. That and it would just be plain ugly. :grin: Enjoy, J.D.

My preference has been brass rods for use as range rods. I got mine from a machine shop and had the end drilled and tapped for a 10/32 thread. For a handle, I picked up a pair of brass door knobs at an antique shop. I put a door knob on the untapped end to act as a palm protector. Actually, you can use any doorknob but a nice brass one on the end of a brass rod sure looks nice. At the time, the rods were relatively cheap and I had four made. One was 5/16 in. in diameter for .32 caliber, one was 3/8 inches in diameter for a .45 caliber and two that were 7/16 inch in diameter that would fit either a .50 or a .54. I have other rods made of coated steel, Delrin, fiberglass, wood, etc. All have muzzle protectors but I only use the brass ones now days. The others sit in my gun safe. I just prefer the brass rods. They are quite strong and less abrasive than other rod materials. I don't know how easy it is to find nice straight brass rod of the correct diameter and length for your rifle nor how much it costs today but it sure is nice stuff. Just be sure to get a rod that has 10/32 threads. I think the 8/32 threads are just too small and fragile.

Bullfrog said:
What do you guys think of the 3/8 Delrin 48" rod sold by TOTW?
It's about $15.
I'm looking for a good range rod

I used to make and sell Delrin rods. Best (non-pc) material for a rod, IMHO. Soft, non damaging, won't break and price is right.
Delrininvise3.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Ooooooh! I do like the looks of that glass doorknob. :v Classy! :thumbsup: I never tried one simply because of the fact that I was afraid it might get broken. :( Yours appears to have seen some service and no signs of damage. Maybe I'll look for a glass one for my next rod. :hmm:

N1:
The Ancient Ones will be at the Maine wildlife park on rt 26 in Gray Saturday and Sunday. Come see us, lots of ml knowledge and two pro gunbuilders will be there.
Nit Wit

No disrespect intended, but that looks like a doorknob on a rod.
Maybe it's my construction background, but a doorknob is a doorknob.

Folks:

We have a Private Topic feature on the forum that is there so people can have private conversations with one another.

Using this is easy and by using it our topics won't get cluttered up with one individuals message to another individual.

Thanks. :)

As for cheap strong ram rods I suggest a better approach is to buy a not so cheap, ultra strong steel ramrod from one of the many suppliers for range use.

For hunting, a good hickory ramrod with a pinned metal end can't be beat.
It's light weight and very strong if it is handled correctly by ramming the ball in short stages.

There is no need to try to ram the ball in one big push. Speed is not a driver in this sport.
There are no Indians attacking and if a wounded bear decides you aren't welcome, all the speed in the world isn't going to save you.

Let the actors in the movies load their guns that way and quietly chuckle to yourself as you watch them.

As you see there is no shortage of opinions on the ramrod question. Look I use Delron just because they are easy on the barrel. However I also have hickory rods for all of my rifles.

I cut the patch jag with a file and pin the other
threaded end. I also soak them in lamp oil or kerosene to make them a little more limber. I buy them from Dixie and I have not got a bad rod yet.

Geo. T.

If you guys don't like a glass door knob then how about a porcelin drawer knob like I used on this pistol loading rod?
cased2.jpg

If y'all's so smart, why doesn't anyone comment on the American Tomato Growers' Association standards?

They adamanatly reccomend all types of fiberglass be eliminated from any facet of tomato production.

DO USE FIBERGLASS AS TOMATO STAKING -- IT WILL CONTAMINATE FRUIT AND RENDER THE PRODUCT UNFIT FOR FOOD USE BY HUMANS OR ANIMAL STOCK DESTINED AS HUMAN FOOD.

Photo 1 is why I don’t use wooden ramrods.
And I prefer the power / strength of brass to seat a PRB in one stroke.
I also like the strength of brass for pulling a ball using a T-handle.

All under-barrel rods are brass, either solid or stiff tubular if weight is an issue for a given gun.
All range rods are solid brass and have nylon muzzle guides, Photo 2

I have most of my brass rods made here: http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

PHOTO 1

3PlainTCwoodenramrodshowingknotsepa.jpg

PHOTO 2

05281240calSquirrelTargetLIGHTERcropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Range Rods + wooden ball handles in photo below:

(For under barrel ramrod reloads while hunting, a nylon muzzle guide is slid onto a jag in my pocket)

071913RangeRodsballhandlesnylonmuzzleguides001_zpsa0cf9ae5.jpg

Nice ramrod collection, roundball :) . When I bought my (used) rifle it came with a wooden ramrod, of course, but the builder also made a steel rod (what you chaps call a "range rod") and a matching steel short starter to go with it. I've never used the wooden rod, and doubt I ever will. I only target shoot, and everyone in the club uses steel rods. I built another steel one and made a slightly undersize cleaning jag for it, then turned a couple of oversize wooden handles for them. Like roundball, I find the metal ones great as I don't have to worry about them flexing, kinking, breaking or splintering. All my rods have nylon muzzle protectors fitted, of course.

As for using fibreglass rods, other forums I have visited also strongly advise against their use (for the reasons already mentioned).

Necchi said "..... that looks like a doorknob on a rod."

Wow Necchi, he sure couldn't fool you for a second. :doh: You are dead nuts on, that actually is a doorknob on a rod. :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf:

Gooooood call!!! :thumbsup: You have just won a shiny new.....uh......a.....uh.....aw manure, we just ran out of prizes. :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

Back