• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Checkering, Rigby Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grey8833

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone interested in checkering, here is a Rigby Kit from Pectonica that I just got the nerve to checker. Done in 45 degree diamonds for the forearm and 60 degree diamonds for the wrist. Pattern fill-in / semi-point pattern. Chose those diamond sizes and the patterns after looking at how the originals were done.
IMG_2625.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg

If you want all the ugly details, go to this link. Was a lot of fun to do, but you sweat every cut (and I messed a few up, not many, but I know where they are).

Enjoy.

Checkering album:
Link

Mike F

Thank you for sharing your fine work with us.
The checkering, is what sets the Rigby rifle from just another kit.
You must have the patience of a snake to do that fine and measured work.
Great photo work as well!
All the best!
Old Ford

Truely outstanding. I've been lusting after this gun for some time. Could you share which moulds and loads you are using and what kind of accuracy you are getting. Thanks

jr06:

I use the Pedersoli 535 grain Grease Groove mold. The GM barrel pin gauges out at .450 even. The mold throws a .449 to .450 bullet. I got a .449 sizer from Lee, special order. The sizer just insures the bullet fits the barrel, no tight ones. The bullets all but drop down the barrel. I sort the bullets to +/- 2 grains and use a beeswax and canola oil lube. The lead is soft right now, but my next load will be one part tin to 30 parts lead > a common alloy for the gun.

Powder is currently 90 grains of Goex 2F over an ox yoke felt wad. I have ordered Swiss 1.5 and can not wait to try it - supposed to be cleaner and more consistent than Goex.

I have Lee Shaver Super Soules on the back and a Distant Thundner globe on the front. Shoots about 2 to 3 MOA, but I think I need to start weighing the powder > after I switch to the Swiss.

The stock that comes with he kit has a bit too much drop in the heel for easy prone shooting (the standard position for this gun) so I added a "Cheek in Stock" lifter to the stock - nice leather one, actually looks good (not shown). The nipple is platnium lined because of the pressures involved. Oh yea - I also use a standard military sling.

Anything else? Yes, its a lot of fun outshooting the scoped high power moderns at the range - really gets 'em muttering " how in the 'ell did I just get beat by an iron sighted antique?"

IMG_2328.jpg

Minus the checkering I just got done with.

And if you are a gun building nut, try this link, just remember - I warned you.
Match Rifle Build - Many pictures long.

Mike F

You are a better man than I. :bow:
I can carve; do a nice job on wire inlay along with scrimshaw. I CANNOT DO CHECKERING AT ALL. :surrender: It seems to start out OK but never finishes that way. I even bought the book by Monte Kennedy. I guess I should have spent the money on someone to do it for me instead of the book. Excellent book but I guess my pea brain could not absorb what it was telling me. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Back