• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cherokee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dispatch 510

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all.Can anyone tell me if they still make stocks for the T/C Cherokee.I found a nice one at a pawn shop for $80.00 but it has two cracks in the stock.One where they screws go in for the lock,the other is at the trigger guard,The barrell and all the rest look great.

$80.00 bucks it would of went home with me,you can keep an eye out on e bay for the stock,seems everyone that has the crack at that location loves to crank the lock screw super tight really no need to just snug will do. :thumbsup:

Hi dispatch,
I'm in the same boat. Bought a .32 Cherokee a few years ago at a gun show with a beautiful hunk of walnut that looked unfired. Got it home and spied the crack running from the lock area back through the wrist of the stock. Near broke my heart.

As I recall, I checked with T/C and was told there weren't any stocks available and none could be made as the tooling was lost in the fire.

At the time I belonged to the NMLRA and got the Muzzle Blasts magazine. Looked in the classifieds and found a few ads for 'stock duplicating'. I sent the Cherokee off to some old fellow in PA (I believe) and he made a replacement out of maple. Cost was dependent upon the grade of Maple I wanted. I stuck with something plain and, as I recall, ended up spending around $150...which seems like alot now.

He had some trouble duplicating the stock as it was rather small for his tooling. When I got it back the barrel channel was glass bedded, which was fine by me, but he was apologizing all over the place for it. I checked some of the metal fittings and the inletting seemed really good and cleaner than any factory job I've seen. A little sanding and I think it would've been ready to finish.

Well, I can't tell you the rest of the story 'cause the stock is still in its box waiting to be finished. It'll probably happen when I get a round tuit :redface: .

In order to stabilize the walnut stock before making the copy the old guy had glued it back together. When it came back, I reassembled the Cherokee with the glued-together walnut stock and have been using it that way ever since. :shake:

Sorry I can't give you the fellow's name. The stock is right here by me but the sales invoice is long gone.
Bob

The lock, and barrel are probably worth twice that on ebay. T/C stopped making them when all the tooling was lost in a fire years back, but they remain very, very popular. You can have a stock roughed out and finish it yourself. You didn't say what caliber it was? You could probably repair that stock without too much trouble. I'd go for it I don't think you would lose either way, keep it or part it out. Bill

:thumbsup: Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought it a few minutes ago.Guy brought it to me.See if I can fix it. Anybody ever use Gorilla Glue?

Fix them cracked stocks yourself...I've repaired about 10 T/C stocks over the years.I pick up the guns cheap at gun shows or pawn shops.Gorilla glue is too foamy.I use LOC-TIGHT epoxy for wood..Best I've found,stainable and paintable. Good luck. Olson

Check with TC first.It can't hurt.Caution with E-Bay!I saw a spare hammer on there that went for something like $60-$80.I called TC and they said they had new ones for $15 to fit the Cherokee and Seneca.Might check around and get a custom made stock.

Gorilla glue takes some practice, it's true, but is one serious glue. It' will be stronger than the wood it repairs.

dispatch,

Gorilla glue will foam, but there's a solution. I use it in some places building model airplanes.

Put a dollop (~3/8" ball) in a plastic cup (the kind that comes with cough syrup, or a bottle cap. Let it set for about 10 minutes (it will foam because it sets up by drawing humidity from the air), stir it with a small stick until the foam goes down. Now let it set until it foams again and stir it down again. Now do it one more time.

While you're waiting for it to foam, smear a light coat of vaseline (or KY jelly if you're old enough to have some laying around) on both pieces, right up to the edge of the glue surface being VERY careful to not get any on the glue surface.

The glue should be like molasses in January - sticky and stringy. Now it's ready to use. Apply a LIGHT coat on one piece and lightly dampen the other piece. Clamp it lightly, just enough to close the crack. The foaming should be largely complete. If some oozes out of the crack, don't worry about it. Let it dry and it will peel right off with your fingernail. The stock may break somewhere else, but it will never break there again.

If you are doubtful about trying this on a gunstock, use two other pieces of wood of any kind the same size and go through the above procedure. Let it set for 24 hours and try to break the bond. Betcha . . .

Back