• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chewed musket balls 'n tow for breakfast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The O'Dea

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This past Saturday we finally had some decent weather, so I grabbed my M'42 SB, and headed out to my range.
This is the first chance that I had to shoot her since getting her back from Mr. Zimmerman of Harpers. He did an outstanding defarb.
Now this is the first repro that I have shot, and I must say it performed flawlessly.
I have always shot paper ctgs., so this was my fist time using lose powder, and ball. I am using a .678 rb mold. Since I use 80 grains of FG gun powder in the paper ctgs. I bumped it a might using 90 grains. I can tell you that is really got my attention, so I dropped back to 80 grains toped with a dollop of tow over the powder followed by the chewed ball, and another dollop of tow. I used this load for the remainder of the day. Now, as for accuracy well, there wasn't much. All strikes were on the left of the target. I am not sure what sight picture I need :idunno:
During my break I dined on parched corn ( grown on my place) and smoked elk. Then it was back to it. Same thing though. somewhere I am doing something wrong. I never had this problem with my ole M1822 Springfield.
I would like to hear your comments. Another storm this time with snow is brewing, so it may be awhile before I can take to the field again.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

If it is an ami-sport try a 680 ball. 69 grn 2ffg. or 55 of 3fffg. with the 678 drop them in a coffee can and shake. other method use 2 rasp file roll the balls between them. lube. olive oil beeswax 60/40 liquid mix. first roll in alox the dip trice in the ol/b lube.

Latest posts

Back