• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

choices,choices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyblu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm going on a combo hunt in sept. to eastern washington so i just bought 2 t/c cap. rifles,one is a hawken,the other is a renegade. Both have set triggers , both are .50 cal. any input on loads etc. would be appreciated.Planning on using fffg trip-7 and patched balls but have heard that conical bullets would get me some extra range,and how about saboted bullets i use them in my inline rifles to good effect but dont know if the rifling in my t/cs would be sufficient.

Welcome, and if you don't want to get this thread deleted, don't mention those new-fangled rifles anymore. They are taboo here.

1daddyman said:
i'm going on a combo hunt in sept. to eastern washington so i just bought 2 t/c cap. rifles,one is a hawken,the other is a renegade. Both have set triggers , both are .50 cal. any input on loads etc. would be appreciated.Planning on using fffg trip-7 and patched balls but have heard that conical bullets would get me some extra range,and how about saboted bullets i use them in my inline rifles to good effect but dont know if the rifling in my t/cs would be sufficient.
You'll need to work up the right powder load for both your rifles using patched round balls. Since Triple 7 is harder to ignite than traditional black powder I suggest that you use magnum #11 caps. T-7 is more energetic than BP so keep that in mind if you are getting mear maximum recommended powder charges. Example, 50 grains of T-7 is equal to about 43 grains of Goex or 15%. I would start with 45 grains Triple 7, a .490 RB and a .015-.018 pre-cut/pre-lubed patch. Shoot three times aiming at the same spot and noting where they hit. Increase by 5 grains, repeat until your groups tighten up. At this point do not adjust your sights, you are just looking for the best powder charge. At some point your groups should then start to get larger, when they do, back off 5 grains and you are there. Write that down, then you can adjust your sights to get it hittin gat the point of aim. Later on you can try different patch thickness, lubes, etc. A good rule of thumb is to shoot once for every yard your game might be away from you. If your longest shot in the conditions you will be hunting is 75 yards, take 75 practice shots. Most of all have faith in RB performance on game, it will do it's job and do it well if you put it where it needs to go.

I have excellent luck/results with my TC 50 cal Hawken rile when using Tripple seven 2F. I use 90 grains, felt wad over powder and the 385 grain Hornady great plains bullet. When hunting I use the CCI #11 mag caps. I often use the regular CCI #11 caps with T7 and have no problems. T7 3F may work very well for you only a testing will show. Make sure you get all the storage oil out of the rifle before you load it. I like to use a patch with alcohol to remove it. A pipe cleaner also works fine under the nipple. I find the hot shot nipple works best for me. I have shot some very good groups with my 45 cal TC Hawken using patched round balls and T7. Goex black powder also works very well. I do not recommend wimp or target loads for hunting. Some here have more experience at the key board than in the field. Use your B.S. filter when reading posts on any forum. There is a learning curve to shooting a ML. Read a lot here and spend plenty of time on the range.

I stick with Pyrodex P in all my cap guns. And GOEX 3f in all that I shoot black powder in. They all work well with Pyrodex RS and GOEX 2f so I really don';t know why but I am getting very good results with them. I don’t' understand the T7 and some of the other “premium” powders as, what do they offer? Extra price? The extra cleaning is nonsense so don't use that as a reason. Feet-per-second? The chronograph doesn't lie. Put a few more grains of Pyrodex or GOEX in and be done with it. No magnum caps needed either!
My 100% free advice for the day. :thumbsup:

i'm going on a combo hunt in sept.

What will you be hunting?

TC guns are particularly finicky when it comes to igniting some of the sub powders. Obviously, some here have no problem. I have had problems with hang fires using pyrodex in my TC so I just stick with real bp. You can always go to hotter or bigger (musket) caps to get better ignition.

The problems some claim with the subs is mostly linked back to other things the shooter is not doing. I have a bunch of TC Hawken rifles and they will all shoot T7 with no problems. I have even been using T7 in my 45 hawken without the mag caps with no problems. The use of the hot shot nipples may be part of the reason for lack of problems. I clean the barrel with alochol before I load it to remove the oil. Use a pipe cleaner to clean under the nipple.

Plus 1 on what Ebiggs said. In my cap guns I saw very little difference in using Pyrodex P and triple 7 Except the price which was usually around 8 dollars more for triple 7.

Latest posts

Back