• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the .58cal Early Virginia this morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow on the Roof said:
I've been talking to Toni and Matt about a new rifle. Yours is exactly what I invisioned, do you have any more pictures of that beauty?

I'm now on vacation and we're supposed to have some good bright sunny days ahead, so I want to make a good set for myself anyway...PM your Email address and I'll send you a set when I do them

Good goin' Roundball! :hatsoff:

You said before that you hoped to finish up deer season early and start on squirrels... your planets musta been aligned. :thumbsup:

Awesome, awesome, awesome Roundball!!! Whatch gonna dub your new rifle? Perhaps "Deuce" or "Two-fer"?

Out of curiosity, can you lead me to a link for the lunar tables which you use?

:hatsoff: :thumbsup: :bow:

Congratulations my friend! :thumbsup: That's what I call hunting. I'm glad you got to do it with that purdy new rifle of yours too.

:bow: Now that you got the deer problem solved, go out and give those tree-rats a big head ache. Just being nosey, how far did you have to drag those dang things? :confused: :confused: Vern

Congratulations, Roundball. This is a story for the books. I am sure you are busting buttons on your shirts over how effective that new gun has worked for you. Its gorgeous, and the bucks are terrific looking, too. Enjoy the squirrel hunting. You deserve it! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :applause: :hatsoff:

Ancient One said:
"...how far did you have to drag those dang things?..."
Less than 100 yards to an old loggers road...then eased my blazer in to them and pulled them up onto a 'hitch-haul' on the trailer hitch

Congratulation’s!

All in one hunt”¦breaking in your new gun, filling the freezer with meat, two nice buck. I’ll bet that was the best cup of coffee you ever had :applause: :)

.690RB

That, Sir, is called a " Hammerstall". Its a small HOOD that goes over the frizzen, to keep the flint from making sparks should it be accidentally cocked enough to take it off its half-cock notch. The hammerstall is easily, and quietly removed when you see a deer approaching, and cock the hammer back to full-cock.

Most of these are made- it takes less than 10 slow minutes to sew them up from leather scraps , while watching TV. You do see them for sale with some of the suppliers. Mine is made of elkskin. But I have them made from deerskin, also.

Think of a hammer stall as an " added safety" for a flintlock, that is carried primed, and loaded, with the hammer at half-cock.

That's a "Hammer Stall"...a thick firm leather that slides down over the frizzen and acts as a safety so the flint can't touch the steel frizzen if the hammer accidently drops...I put them on all my Flintlocks

Paul and roundball,

Thanks for explaining that, I never heard of one.

I'm getting back into the percussion rifles at the moment. I'll next have to get a flintlock also. I'm sure I'll have some more questions this forum is really informative, I really like it.

That rifle in the deer picture is beautiful.

Back