• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the new .20ga smoothbore Virginia this morning...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Had not seen any turkeys on the property so far this year, so I hunted where I’ve known them to be in the past”¦set up in the corner of some woods around a little 3-4 acre green field so I could see both woods in front of me and field to my left where I had a Jake & 2 Hen decoys set out.

Was in place before it was light enough to see, made a couple sets of yelps on the box call every 15-20 minutes from first light but never heard or saw anything. Then after calling again at 10:15 when I set the box call down and looked back up and around, a turkey had come to the edge of the woods and stepped out of the tree line about 50yds to my left.
When I saw the bright red & blue head I knew I was going to take him with the new Flintlock no matter how big or old he was.”¦he started approaching the dekes and when he broke 40 yards I put the sights on his wattles, touched the set trigger, and the load of chilled #4s put him down.

A Jake with a short 5”-6” beard and short spurs, but he christened the new .20ga Flintlock...already dropped him off to the same needy family I gave my deer to”¦beautiful morning / good outing...going to clean up the .20, and take the .54cal(.28ga) next to try and fill the second tag.

041412D-OpeningDayTurkeyCroppedCloser.jpg

Congratulations RB. Them #4s put the hurt to him looks like to me. The birds around my neck of the woods seem to have caught a case of the shutmouth. I have not heard a single bird in 2 weeks now :idunno:

How does the wild turkey fare compared to the store bought animals? I've never had one!!

Trench said:
How does the wild turkey fare compared to the store bought animals? I've never had one!!
I don't have a clue...LOL...never tried one, give away any game I take.

Great hunting! I have bagged two birds this season, one long beard and one bearded hen with my .54/28g straight rifled fl inter...Here in middle Tennessee bearded hens are fairly rare, but legal too!
Cooking the bird is easy and DELICIOUS. My favorite way to prep is to breast them out, clean all "stuff" off the breasts and cube them in nugget size pieces. Let that soak in buttermilk with salt and pepper for 5-10 hrs. Combine 1/2 flower and 1/2 cracker meal into a bowl with more salt and pepper, flower them well and allow to sit for 30 mins. Reflower if needed and deep fry in peanut or veggie oil at 325 deg until golden brown. Approx 10 min. I promise you can serve this to everyone! Let me know if you enjoy!

that sounds like it might be the best way i have heard to make wild turkey. I used to kill a couple every year when i was a kid and mom would cook them but they were never really that good. Unless you put them in some sort of a cooking bag they come out dryer than a store turkey. Haven't hunted a turkey in years, might have to give it a try again one of these days. Judging by the piece of stock in the picture that must be a beautiful gun.

You had a good morning of it nice bird! sounds like it pattern's well at that distance good job

way to go!!

Will you be able to shoot a roundball with any accuracy out of a choke like that?

doulos said:
way to go!!

Will you be able to shoot a roundball with any accuracy out of a choke like that?

Oh, already have...and just as Caywood advertises on their website, PRB accuracy isn't affected...mine shoots PRBs about like a rifle to the 50yds I have it zeroed.
Christened it with a nice 10 pointer and a couple Does in 2010...a real powerhouse in the woods.

Trench said:

No difference to me. As with anything, how it's taken care of in the field and cooked can change flavor, but the wild turkey I've eaten could have been butterballs.

A friend of mine was the very first "modern" person to take a turkey with bow in the state of MN when they opened the season long ago and he skinned his for the taxidermist and his wife cooked the meat without skin and it was still absolutely delicious.

very good! don't think others hunters will ever realize the satisfaction that comes with a black powder harvest.... Grats! :thumbsup:

Back