• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the new .20ga smoothbore Virginia this morning...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RC said:
very good! don't think others hunters will ever realize the satisfaction that comes with a black powder harvest.... Grats! :thumbsup:
Agree...would rather have this one with that smoothbore Flintlock than 100 with a Remington .12ga...
:wink:

Good shooting!..
Would love to see the pattern the jug choke throws with # 4's

makeumsmoke said:
Good shooting!..
Would love to see the pattern the jug choke throws with # 4's

Don’t have any 40yd target photos as I did my load development / testing at 25yds, planning to take any shots at 25 or less, but here are two 25yd targets with the big Chilled #4s out of the .62cal.
When he appeared, I figured the pattern would be a bit thinner at 40yds of course, but from range time I felt confident there would still be enough killing pellets to get the job done (only need a couple) so I shot him and he dropped where he stood, at 43 steps actually.

2012TurkeyTarget25ydsCH4s.jpg

3.25" x 5.5" SOUP CAN

201270-3F134CH4s-Can25yds-1.jpg

Well, spring turkey is now over and I didn't get to fill my 2nd tag...went a total of 8 times, only heard gobbles on one other day...two different birds off in the distance on adjacent property, each followed about 30 minutes later by distant gunshots.

But a spring season of anything helps break up the long spell until fall seasons come around again, plus I was able to notch the new .20ga Virginia with one so it was good enough.

Going to get back to enjoying range trips and also try for a coyote a couple times...hope everybody has a good summer

RB....Congrats on a good season....even if the birds were thin...

And thanks for the great photo's of the shot loads..been pondering a jug choke and a picture and data helps . :thumbsup:

Enjoy the 40 Cal. this summer..

Seems I tend to shoot the smaller cals. a lot more often..
Just love the "crack" of the small bores.

makeumsmoke said:
And thanks for the great photo's of the shot loads..been pondering a jug choke and a picture and data helps . :thumbsup:
There are a good feature for sure...glad I experimented with / learned about them from a personal experience point of view.

I also initially had thoughts about getting a .54cal(.28ga) jugged...but learned through more range testing and experimentation that for it's small game purposes...at least my 42" barreled one...I didn't even need it choked.

Enjoy the 40 Cal. this summer..
Seems I tend to shoot the smaller cals. a lot more often.. Just love the "crack" of the small bores.

Agree, and they're so much more economical...I chuckled after a dozen range trips or so with the little .40cal then I broke out the .62cal to get ready for turkey season, and it's muzzle seemed like a cannon !

Back