• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the new .62cal Virginia this afternoon...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Christened the new .62cal Early Virginia Smoothbore this afternoon. I took delivery of it this summer and 'job one' all along has been to get it dialed in to hunt deer and squirrel this fall, then go after Turkey with it in the spring.

Saturday and Monday mornings, I was seeing deer in the dark along side the road while driving to my hunting spots before sunrise, but then never saw any on stand after first light till noon.
When I got home, I checked the Solar/Lunar tables and sure enough, the high activity period for animals this week is from 3:00am till 6:00am...then they were down inactive for several hours...going back into high activity again from 3:00 to 6:00pm.

So I changed my strategy, slept in this morning and was on the oak ridge stand at 2:00pm.
Right on queue around 3:15pm, I heard a couple distant scattered shots...then about 4:00pm I hear something slowly coming my way through the dry leaves and pretty soon see this big ole Doe poking along in my general direction.

She would be angling past me at about 30 yards and since I was itching to make meat with the new .62cal...and knew I had a family waiting just 1/2 mile down the road for any deer I’d give them...I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and put her down...quartering towards me, the 325grn lead ball performed as expected...drove down through her right shoulder/heart/lungs area and out her belly...she lunged a couple of body lengths and piled up.

Cleaned the Flintlock, and dragged her out of the woods well before dark”¦slid her up on the hitch-haul and delivered her to the “deer drop family””¦the 3rd deer I’ve given to them and the lady told me she already has the first two at the butchers having sausage and hamburger ground up”¦was thrilled at getting the 3rd one and when I said I’d try to get 3 more for her I thought she was going to adopt me !

1110910Christened62calDoeCropped2Darker.jpg

that's a thing of beauty :thumbsup: ...nice to see poeple helpin' out others in these recessive times

nicely done roundball :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Way to go.Congrats.Hope my 62 can do the same,haven't shot it yet.What was your load?Thanks RB.Griz

ny griz said:
Hope my 62 can do the same,haven't shot it yet.
What was your load?
When I was doing testing / load development going up through 10grn increments of powder, group size at 50yds was so-so, good enough for deer but not what I wished it was.
But when I hit 110grns of Goex 2F, it was like somebody flipped a switch...the shots had a distinctive 'crack' to them and group size shrunk less than 3" at 50 yards from a seated hunting position (not a bench).

So I settled on the following:
Rice .620" bore with a Caywood Full Jug Choke
110grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke .60-.70 cal X .022" prelubed patches
.600" cast ball from Eddie May (Chatsworth, GA)

I’m sure a better shot than I can do better, but it’s working OK for me this season.

081810Re-CheckZero50yds.jpg

flyfisher76544 said:
My hat is off to you.
:hatsoff:

Thanks...but seeing that you're in Irag, I'll assume with the military...if so, thanks for going in harms way on my/our behalf...and better keep YOUR hat ON !

Good going and good shooting. Nice to have a family that needs someone like you to offer the meat too. I really should have and still need to work up a load for my 62ca. fowler. It should at least be my back up gun for our deer season.

:thumbsup: Thanks RB,i'll be playing with it and see what i come up with.Got some things from TOW.Now the fun begins.Griz

roundball said:
flyfisher76544 said:
My hat is off to you.

Thanks...but seeing that you're in Irag, I'll assume with the military...if so, thanks for going in harms way on my/our behalf...and better keep YOUR hat ON !

Yep, over here for another tour. Thats one of the reasons I haven't been on the forum lately. Thanks for the kind words and keep the stories and the picts coming. :thumbsup:

You set a fine standard regarding good shooting with a flintlock and sportmanship. You are an outstanding asset to the traditional hunting scene. I offer my most sincere congrats.

Congratulations! :thumbsup: When are the deer active on Saturday according to the tables?

Allen

Back