• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

christmas kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougeee

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guy's,It's time to start Christmas shoppin'already.I'm lookin' for a flintlock pistol kit for my nine year old son.I think he'll get a kick buildin'one of his own.Since he's only nine I don't want to put out a lot of money but would still like to get somethin' that won't blow up.I'm considerin' a deer creek.I hear they're around a hundred bucks.Any suggestions or opinions?Thanks in advance.

2crows said:
I'm lookin' for a flintlock pistol kit for my nine year old son.I'm considerin' a deer creek.I hear they're around a hundred bucks.Any suggestions or opinions?Thanks in advance.

The Deer Creek Tower Pistol is virtually identical to the old CVA Tower Pistol. It's a pretty straight forward kit, but don't expect step-by-step instructions with it. I don't know of ANY kits that have highly detailed instructions. Most of them are more intuitive and expect that the buyer already has a pretty good idea how a kit should go together. Right or Wrong, that's how it is. Unless you've got a 9yr old that is VERY familiar with muzzleloading pistols, you are going to have to be helping him quite a bit along the way.

There was no major machining or wood shaping involved, mostly just sanding and polishing, then staining/oiling, and blueing or browning. (NOTE: the Tower barrel should be left in the white and allowed to patina over time, IMHO)

You're going to spend a good bit more for any other flintlock kit also. I doubt you'll find another kit for the same or less cost anyway... and still have a useable gun that is safe.

My $0.02
WV_Hillbilly

Thanks Hillbilly.that's kinda what I expected.This will be a father/son project.I just hope it shoots straight.The little guy is a good shot.Thanks again.

Make the gun! I have a cheap muzzle loader that my dad made years ago. He is gone now and it is one of my treasured possesions. It doesn't shoot as well as my expensive guns, but I am very glad I have it.

Your son will treasure the gun some day. The fact that he makes it with you will make it all the more valuable.

That's a great idea. A father and son project, and a chance to teach the kid a little about gun safety, history, and patience. :haha:

Good luck with the gun.

Don't forget to post pics before and after.

Deer Creek is not on the web. They have a paper catalog. Crappy pictures in it too - real old timey! :rotf:

2crows: As you plan to help build the gun may I give a little advice?

First off, plan on letting your son do most of the work.

Give advice and help only when you see that he is headed for trouble or when he asks for it.

If you haven't done this sort of project with your son before, doing this is a lot harder than it first appears because deep within most of us is the desire to lead rather than sit on the sidelines watching a child work.
My tendency (and error) in this situation was to grab the parts and say "do it this way" and then do all of the work. At least with my sons, they took this to mean I didn't trust them to do the job so they quickly lost their enthusiam for the project.

Expect the final results to have flaws. In later years, you and your son will look on these flaws fondly and say things like "Remember when ..."

You are entitled to consider my words as just an old fart butting in if you want too but I think if you put my advice back in the back of your mind and think about it while you two are working on this project you will both have an enjoyable time which will bond the two of you.
Your son (and you) will also end up with a great little gun that can give years of enjoyment.

Zonie (Jim)

I still have the H&A underhammer buggy rifle that Dad an I "made" together. As I recall, I mostly sanded the stock. I did pick out the front sight I wanted, he mounted it.
It was special because it was "my" rifle - as the only lefty in the family I was different. Now my son is showing lefty tendencies, so I guess I already have his first rifle...

2crows,

Sorry, but I'm still having some short term memory problems from my fall. I should've given to you Deer Creek's number in my extended reply.

1-765-525-6181, if I recall correctly...

They (Deer Creek) have ALWAYS treated me kindly and given me sound advice as well. Some people are dismayed (maybe even a little angry) that Deer Creek does not have a website, not even an e-mail address--but it really does NOT detract from their products or their customer service.

Building a kit together, as Father & Son, is an excellent means of creating a family heirloom that will be "priceless"! It's a good way to teach wood and metal skills that are (highly) valuable (IMO), and as mentioned, also provides opportunity to teach shop safety, safe firearms handling, and proper muzzleloading loading/cleaning procedures, et cetera...

I can't think of a more important gift than one that keeps a boy and his Dad closer together.
Treasure that special time, as we never know what tomorrow may bring....

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

Hey Zonie,that's real sound advice. I'm trying with other projects to keep my hands off.I still have friends that could use the advice :grin:

"...as we never know what tomorrow may bring...."
Teenagers!

Yup! You'll be amazed at how stupid a dad becomes as a child ages from 9 to 14. (At least in the teenagers mind.) :grin:

Maybe that wasn't fair to the teenagers, but when my kids were 9 they still thought I was really smart.
By the time they reached 14 I was the village idiot (in their minds).
It wasn't until they turned 22 that they realized that the old man actually knew anything at all.
By the time they turned 26, I once again was a valued source of advice to them. :rotf: :rotf:

Zonie said:
"...as we never know what tomorrow may bring...."
Teenagers!

Yup! You'll be amazed at how stupid a dad becomes as a child ages from 9 to 14. (At least in the teenagers mind.) :grin:

Maybe that wasn't fair to the teenagers, but when my kids were 9 they still thought I was really smart.
By the time they reached 14 I was the village idiot (in their minds).
It wasn't until they turned 22 that they realized that the old man actually knew anything at all.
By the time they turned 26, I once again was a valued source of advice to them. :rotf: :rotf:

Its simply amazin how smart your folks get, as you grow older ain't it? :hmm:

Davy

Back