• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrony Chronograph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi am looking at purchasing the Beta Model of one of these secondhand - is it suitable for ML? Does the smoke and muzzle blast give false reading :idunno: ? I want to ascertain the MV of a PRB(10G smoothbore)and the shot charge from a 12G DBSG :hmm: . Any comments/tips appreciated!!

I bought an Oehler many years ago and have chronographed everything imaginable including MLs. I have debated getting a Beta Chrony for a long time in addition to the Oehler. A friend has a Beta and yes, it will do fine with MLs. It is a little easier to set up than my Oehler and I'm lazy. The Beta is a very good buy.

forgot: Don't shoot the unit! Get a sturdy baffle to intercept any wayward rounds before they hit the unit. 12" to 15' is usually far enough even for MLs.

I have the Chrony F-1 Master.(remote display)
It works, but I moved it a bit further out,, 15 feet or so and use a cardboard or better yet poly/clear plastic cover for the lower part of the unit if you need to see the display,
after all you only need send the projetile over the eyes.
It's alot scarier shooting over it with open sights than with my scoped CF guns. I use a bore sighter with a judicious/bagged bench set up.

Replace the wire uprights for the sunscreens with small wooden dowel, if you hit them they break.

:v I have one and have used it for several years, only problem was the muzzle blast blew the "Sky Screen" Diffusers and rods off until I moved it to 15-20yards. I always set the Chrony up and then position the target behind it so that bulls-eye is about 6" higher than the top of the Chrony. Check the alignment before you shoot! Having a consistant bullet path above the Sky-Screens will yield dependable results. :v

I've never used a chronograph but am aware that the bullet, or ball, needs to go through the sky screens. If you chronograph a "shot load" how are you going to keep from hitting the machine?
Mark

I would wrap the shot in a manner that keeps it together as it passes the screens, something like cloth shot cups.

I have had several Chronys (ask me about their half price replacement policy) Station it at least 20 feet in front of your shooting bench. Cover the front display and sensors with plexiglas or lexan to keep powder residue out and avoid damage from unburned powder granules. Shoot from the bench not off hand. Don't let your buddies shoot over it unless they agree to replace it after shooting it directly in the brain. I have lost almost as many friends as Chronys. Replace the aluminum sky-screen supports with wood chop sticks so when (not if) you shoot them you won't damage the instrument.

When using a chronograph with centerfire ammo, you have only the bullet going across the skyscreens so no false readings. But, when you are shooting a patched round ball, you can get false readings from the patch if it crosses the skyscreen. What you have to do is to see where your patches are landing and set your chronograph just a bit beyond that point. That way, the patch will not interfere with the reading of the velocity. Most of the chronograph software has a place where you enter the distance of the chronograph from the muzzle. It will automatically make the corrections necessary to give the muzzle velocity. If you are shooting conical bullets with sabots, you will need to do the same thing. I have never chronographed a shotgun load so I am not sure how to do it. If you set the chronograph just beyond where the wads are landing, the shot pattern will be so large that it will hit the metal rods that hold up the plastic screens. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I don't know what it is.

I have a Beta and I like it. I just bought the printer recently and recomend it too. Do get the optional Lexan covers made for blackpowder use. They are for keeping the fouling/residue out of the unit. The first time I set it up I shot it! Remember to set it below the bullet's flight path. I was lucky as I was chronoing a Daisy BB gun (325 ft./sec.)and between that and the Lexan covers I didn't hurt anything but you can bet that I would have done that same thing with different results if my first shot had been with my .58 Springfield.

I also recommend the plexiglas cover for the read out. I had an unburned powder granule crack the readout. I made a plexiglas cover that I leave on the Chrony.
Regards,
Pletch

You can leave the sky screens off for using shot if it is not a sunny day. I dont use them anyway on an overcast day ball or shot. Place a piece of clear plexiglass over the readout as burning bits of powder will pepper it sometimes

Bob

Why not post two pieces of box cardboard, then fire once through the cardboard, then set up the chrony between the two cardboard pieces and align the "eyes" based on the line between the hole in the front piece of cardboard, and the hole in the back piece of cardboard. That way the chrony is close enough that the powder doesn't blast the screen or mess up the eyes. Just make sure you aim at the same spot every time you shoot. :confused:

LD

I use the beta and have no problems as long as the chrony is at least 20 yrds from the muzzle.You might get by closer, but I had problems at ten yrds so I just moved out to 20. :idunno:

Back