• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chunk guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hepburn4590

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've heard of some awsome guns in this disipline. Are there any "OTL" shooters aboard? I'm interested in building and shooting one of these.

hello i shoot chunk around the ohio valley. What do you plan on building? Maybe i could save you some time for i have one for sale. It's a 48cal. full stock tenn. style 54" ed rayl barrel

Greetings MM I am not interested in building one but wanted to know if I could use mine in the meantime. I have a 58 green mountain 1 1/8 x 42 inch on a Hawken stock.

What is a chunk gun of old considered? Was it pretty much whatever you had way back when that you just entered in an OTL match or was it specially built?

rabbit03

I too would like some information on Chuck Guns:
What is the best calaber.
Where can you find a chuck gun barrel.
What is the best width across the flats. :)

guys, do a search on the forum on chunk guns. i know i had some photos posted and others gave me a bunch of info. mines a .55 cal

I'm going to do an underhammer in a .54 if it is legal. I haven't been able to find much in the way of rules. Is an underhammer permited? What sights can I use? What about weight, etc?

Here are the rules from the 07 York Shoot flier. There are plenty of Underhammers being shot. Hope this helps a little.

RULES: Rifles may be flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or ”˜old style’ traditional target type, with no limit to weight or caliber. No false muzzles, no sealed ignition, no in-line actions, no thumbhole or adjustable stocks and no padded buttplates. Rifles must shoot black powder w/ patched lead round balls, no bullets. Shaders are permitted, but must not extend passed the rear of the breech. Rear sights should be open sights at least 6” in front of the breech. Front sights should be blade, pin-head or post. The use of barrel rests (cant blocks) or sandbags on the chunk are permitted and encouraged. Only the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, no sandbags or blocks of wood are allowed under the butt of the rifle and no gloves of any kind. The butt of the rifle may not touch the ground. Please read the letter with the flier.

*SPECIAL NOTE, Shooting chunks should be flat on top. Grooves in the chunk that hold or cradle the rifle are going too far. Build a cant block that clamps to the rifle and set it on top of the chunk. The rifle (with the cant bar) should be able to slide side to side and back and forth on the chunk. No more grooves or rails on the chunk!

Here's a couple of sites with more info regarding over the log shooting:
[url] http://overthelog.tripod.com/chunkgun/[/url]
[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.html[/url]

If you think it even the slightest bit possible that you'd enjoy this type of shooting, come to the Alvin York shoot in March and you'll leave a convert. That place is amazing.

Someone out there on the net had this to say about OTL/Chunk gun shooting:

"Chunk gun shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down." :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
First you got to have overall's.... Really. If you'll ck back on here and I belive the "BUILD" part about a year back a lot of stuff was put on here about chunk guns (all the pics are of guys in overalls you cant miss it.) Fred :hatsoff:

There is a match kind of like that around here on Easter saturday every year. It is shot off a chunk sitting on a picnic table at 30 yards. Your target is a board with x's cut in it with a razor. You shoot your sighters at whatever paper target you prefer, and then that target is placed with your sighter group over an x. Same thing as the article. You try to shoot every shot the same way. In that match, most folks don't even look at their targets between shots. A partner handles the board and moves the sighter target to the next x after every shot. You would think that hitting that x at 30yards off a rest is easy. You have to go reload and wait in line to make your next shot. It takes all day pretty much for the match. The weather, the light, and your condition change as the day goes on. I took 2nd place last time I was there and my partner took third. The winning shot woud have been hard to center that well on a drill press! He hit the x five straight times, but only one of them was centered. I missed it last year, but hope to be able to attend this year!

Got a question for all you chunk gun experts :blah:

I want to shoot my Hawken in the matches in the future. I have made a piece to take up the space of the cresent butplate making it straight like a shotgun. Will I be able to use this in the matches or will it be considered a PAD? It is not a pad nor does it have any padding in it but it is a slip over the cresent to fill it in and that is it.

I thought I read somewhere that pads would not be allowed and not being familiar with the rules governing this I am not sure if what I have made will be considered a pad or not? It is comprised totally of leather and no synthetic material such as rubber.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

rabbit03

Sorry, I only know about the one here Rabbit. Here, I don't think they would care, but I am not sure about that. They allow cheaters and shaders, so I don't think an unpadded modified buttpad should be a problem.
The target is an X cut in a board with a razor. The sighter target is whatever you want. A lot of folks use either a pointy line or a target that looks like the letter i. They line their front sight so that they can't see the leg of the I at all and then place the top of the blade at 6 o'clock on the dot. Others use a verticle pointer with a dot and two side lines to square the top of the rear sight with. The front sight is squared by the vertical line. You shoot your practice or sighter shots at the target trying to get as small a group as you can. When it is time for the first match shot, the target is put on the board with your group over an X on the board. You attempt to do everything the exact same way on every shot. If you hit the center of your sighter group every time, you should also hit the X centered under it. The sighter target is moved for each shot so that the next X is centered in the developing group. Once your target board is shot, you check it out. If you hit an X, the scoring process comes into play. You need a lead plug with a flat bottom the size of the bullet you are shooting. That slug is put in the hole and the center of the X is cut on it just like it was on the board. Closest shot to center for the match is first place. Depending on the number of participants, the number of prizes will change. They go to the butcher shop and buy meat prizes. First picks first and so on.
The matches at Friendship sound like they use the total distance from center for all scoring shots. A slug with a center point is put in the bullet hole at such matches and and the distance from the center of the slug to the center of the X minus the radius of the bullet is recorded for each shot. At the one here, only the top single shots win. To win you need to center punch an x cut with a razor on a board at 30 yards off a rest. Sounds easy, doesn't it!

REALLY good info Runner I appreciate it. Especially the part about how you can draw lines to aim at.

I know it is very hard to do but I would definitely like to give it a try. And besides I already have the clothes, come by them honest! :rotf:

Do you know the date of the Alvin York shoot in TN? And where is the shoot at your location?

I plan to shoot the one in Friendship this coming June and Sept. I think I may have to move up there in order to save fuel :thumbsup:

Thanks again and the info will sure come in handy, :hatsoff:

rabbit03

The one here is in the back yard of the Dew Drop Inn in Perryville, Mo. I don't know about the others. The shoot here was my introduction to muzzleloading group activities. After many years of muzzleloading, I ran into a guy at Dunn's Sporting goods that was looking for a slug to use at a match that weekend. Since it was close, I took the chance to show up and shoot. They set up two shooting tables and two thick wood stumps for backstops. If you get hungry, the Inn sells food and libation. It is definately not a dress required event. I have seen everything from a gentleman with cerebral palsy shooting a plastic stocked fifty to hand made guns with wide places built into the forearm so they sit level on the chunk the same way each time. The day is spent loading and visiting, standing in line to shoot and visiting, or waiting down off to the side of the targets putting the next shooters board up and visiting. Long way to travel for a shoot like that, but I hope to see you there!

rabbit03;

I see that you're from Texas. On the Lodge site there is a posting of an upcoming Log shoot in Tex some where. I realize that state is about the size of South America but you might get lucky & be within a few hundred miles!!!

The Lodge is[url] http://members.boardhost.com/PPPP[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Awesome!!!
Hello Guys
Yes I wantta build one, this looks like a neet project... Gee a flinter... Does any one know if they use them for hunting? I wonder out loud the loads, any suggestions guys... say in 50 cal.? Thanks for tturning me on to this style I am sure that it'll take a while to get my thoughts and designs together... my best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Chunk shooting is when you take your huntin' rifle and shoot it laying down on you stomach. You need know where it shoots in the prevailing conditions, ie. light and wind. The rifle should be a traditional rifle with fixed sights. Some shooters think a special rifle is required to win but this is not so. An accurate rifle and a good well rounded shooter can take the prize. I hope you will find and attend a shoot. The other shooters will show you the ropes.
Pete

Back