• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chunk guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a place to shoot. Being based in Western Kansas, it seems that every thing is 6,7,8+ hours away. If any of you know of anything out this way let me know. A 4 or 5 hour drive is 'doable.'

Hepburn4590

The furthest west matches that I know of would be the Bevel Bros. matches in Weston MO just south of St Joe. The last I knew they had a few shoots each year. The "World Championship" is held Oct 27,07 but you need to call ahead because they are limiting it to 50 shooters this year. I guess it really is a small world. :hmm:

Targets at the York Shoot look like this:
[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1b.html[/url]

The date of the shoot is March 24th.

Last edited by a moderator:
That target is some fine shooting! That is minute of squirrels eye at 60? yards.

The "chunk gun" shoot's Im thinking of are over a log laying down , that the Bevel Brother's do. (in Muzzle Blast each month) The type your talking about is also called "X center Matches" see Muzz Blast April of 83 ( a buck and a half from NMLRA back issues) this one show's the old ones with hand made interchangable front sight's, I'll have to see if i can find the best one, think Ive packed it away.Fred :hatsoff: (they have run a old print of these shoots in back of older MB mag of guy laying his rifle on a ironning board and one shooting over a log real good stuff - also read Cline's Book that started the NMLRA "the caplock rifle then and now" for really good info of old (in the 30s 40's shoots)

Loser's targets look like this:
[url] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/Timothyqmouse/teachstarget.jpg[/url]

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
22nd Annual Texas X-Center Chunk Gun State Championship

March 30,31, April 1, 2007 at the Greenwood Gun Club, Brazoria, Texas (near Houston)

Sponsored by the Greenwood Longrifles
A NMLRA Charter Club
******** A Traditional Match for Traditional Rifles ********
OVER-THE-LOG-CHAMPIONSHIP ”“

One shot per target is fired from the prone position with a rest @ 48 yds. Scoring is based on the best 10 of 30 targets. Daily plaques are awarded for the best 3 shots of the day.
Top 3 places in the match are awarded plaques. This is a Blanket Shoot so all shooters have a choice of a many custom made and commercial prizes. Dinner is provided on Saturday night for contestants and their families.
Registration Fee: One blanket prize (suggested minimum value - $10) plus $35 for 30 targets.
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association Chunk gun rules will be followed except for number of shots per target (one), relay time (10 minutes), range distance (48 yds) and target (custom). Chunks must follow NMLRA Rule 5460. Bring your own chunks please. Thin padding is allowed on chunk to protect the rifle.
Match will start at 12:00 noon on Friday, March 30, 2007 and end @ 5:00 pm. Match time for Saturday is 8:00 am ”“ 5:00 pm. The Saturday evening meal will begin serving at 6:00 pm under the big oak tree. Match time for Sunday is 8:00 am ”“ 12:00 noon. Awards ceremony will begin @ 1:00 ”“ 1:30 pm Sunday.
Shading tarps are allowed and provided on a first come basis.

For information, contact any of the following members who will be happy to answer any of your questions.

President - Tim Marlin, [email protected], Vice-president ”“ George Frank Mooney, [email protected]
Sec.-Treasurer ”“ Ed Kana, [email protected] , Chief Range Officer ”“ Ken Springs, [email protected]
Trustee ”“ Steve Efird, [email protected]
X-Center 2007 Chairman: Ken Springs, 341 N. Shanks, Clute, TX 77531
Home phone # (979) 265-1490, Cell (979)239-8372

Davy
:hatsoff:

In an over the log (chunk Gun) match the target is a card with a printed x on it, but, and this is the neat part, you put the x target behind your sighter target. You get to shoot at a target of your choice and put the x target anywhere on the target board, not necessarly behind your sighter. This means if the wind is blowing you can adjust for it by moving your target, instead of using Kentucky windage. Remember your sights are fixed and traditional. If the match is 10 shots long you will have at least 12 shots downrange before you are done. Before the match starts you are given some time to shoot sighter shots, now if your shots all went to the same place you could just put your x target behind sighter shot hole. Then the rest of your shots would go right through the center of the x. If your rifle shoots to the center of your sighter your sighter will be all shot up and if the card is white your sighter will be very white. You see the problem? Some guys bump the sight off to one side to avoid this problem, others cover the sighter with a piece of paper the color of their sighter.

This all makes sense when you see it. Just bring a target to shoot at that you like and when you shoot someone elses target fess up to it as quickly as possible. They will understand.
Pete

Hepburn,
As you can tell from the responses to your question, chunk shooting is not like anything else. Walruskid got one from me last year and he hasn't stopped talking about the game yet.
Mark

hey mark, i have my rifle, bibs, and an urge to shoot. all i need is a match close to home to get my feet wet!

by the way, if anybody is interested, mark does have a couple of nice rifles for sale. of course, i bought the best one! marks a nice guy to do business with. unsolicited testimony!

Packdog,
Bookie tells me you will be at the York shoot. Lookin' forward to being there and seeing you. "Ellie Mae" and I are going to have to brave a little snow and get some practicing in before headin' down.

Angus

Hey Hep,
We have had a little chunk match here in Iowa for a couple years now. Just a little ways North of Des Moines if that is not too far. Can be some pretty serious competitors show up.

Angus

Back