• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War Use Of Smooth Sided Minies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recovered relic bullets from the Civil War show a multitude of designs for hollow based bullets. numerous manufacturies and numerous importers, various calibers, some with or without lube grooves, thin skirts, thick skirts, swaged, cast, long, short, blunt and pointy. And the forms of the hollows in the bases of the bullets show many different designs as well with some not even being round. Seeing all this got me to wondering about whether or not all the smooth sided hollow base bullets were actually shot paper patched. Do any of the fellas know, were some smooth sided bullets perhaps used without paper patches? Now that I started thinking about it, well, perhaps for some of them the lube for the next shot was contained in the base hollow of the previous shot.
Anyone familiar enough with the subject to know?

I know how the Enfield was loaded. There were various calibers of smooth sided bullets in use as the war ran its course, not just imports or for that matter English imports.

Yes, Civil War minies. Enfield bullets were smooth side and essentially paper patched

Back