• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone make/sell something like a snap cap cone to dry fire a revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Starr the cylinder can be revolted with the hammer down but the nipples can be felt scraping across the hammer face.
The Tranter hammer sits well clear of the frame when resting on a nipple and contacts the frame with the cylinder removed.
See photos.
IMG_6803.jpeg

IMG_6801.jpeg

Know one can get away with dropping the hammer on a cone. But if it is an expensive weapon....
Cock the hammer. Take a foam ear plug cut in half and push it down in the hammer recess a little way. Pull trigger.
Dry fire as long as you want. Just remember to remove the now-compressed ear plug when you are done.
Works with modern revolvers too. Makes Snap Caps a waste of money.

Get a length of clear vinyl tubing (like that used in aquarium pumps) that friction fits over the nipple and cut it just longer than the surface of the nipple to cushion the blow from the hammer..

I have also heard that in times of need, this setup can be tweaked to be used to hold the ignition device of the self-contained ammo of unmentionables when caps are not available. :rolleyes:
Ya, the clear tubing should be a simple solution. I really can't tell you the size of the inside diameter.Just a little longer that nipple cone. Easily replaceable when the tubing becomes shortened by the hammer drops

Know one can get away with dropping the hammer on a cone. But if it is an expensive weapon....
Back in 1969 when I bought my first muzzle-loader, a Pedersoli percussion Kentucky pistol, I initially had a problem with flinching. My Grandfather said, you don't want to dry fire it because it will flatten the cone of the nipple and your caps with either get stuck on, or you won't be able to seat them at all. He suggested I use a previously spent cap and then don't change or remove it until the end of the practice session. He said, that way, I could dry-fire it without damaging the nipple or the cock and I just had to be sure to clean everything after I was done so I didn't have any corrosion problems...

worked for me!

Back