• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Classic Arms pistol kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauser182

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with any of the Classic Arms pistol kits? I was thinking of getting either the pepperbox or ducksfoot but cant really find any information about them. I think one would make an interesting addition to my collection. Any information would be great.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Generally speaking, Classic Arms pistols are a piece of #*%@.

When assembled, the pepperbox will seldom fire, assuming you can get the hammer to work.

The Ace is a little better and it will work most of the time.

The "Duckfoot" and the "Cutlass" are basically an Ace with a different barrel.

The "Snake-eyes" and the "Twister" also aren't anything to write home about.

Don't get me wrong. The guns sold by them do make interesting decorations to hang on a wall or to use as a paper weight.

I usually try to be nice and give the various guns on the market the benefit of the doubt.

I guess on re-reading what I just wrote that's about as nice as I can be when speaking of Classic Arms.

Zonie's observations are accurate but they can be shooters if your willing to tinker with them. I have the Ace and the Twister. Of the two the Twister required more tinkering. The nipples it came with were completely useless. I replaced them with standard cva rifle niples that I had to file down and shape until they worked. The Ace's main spring is kind of weak so I had to reshape the nipple to get it to fire on the first hammer drop. Remington caps are the only ones that pop reliably on the Ace. I load the Ace with 20 grains of Pyrodex P, a .020 patch and .433 round ball. Its no magnum but if hit with it somebody would be hurtin for sure. I've looked at a lot of Snake Eye pistols on the auction sights but I have enough little novelty guns and don't really feel like tinkering with another. That all said, go ahead and get one but be prepared for some head scrathin, table pounding and fussin. If your patient you can end up with a gratifying little pistol.

Don

I have the snake-eyes. Bought it for 20 bucks ata antique show. Guy selling it thought it was just a wall hanger or paper weight. I got it home and just polishied the brass, and stel woled the steel trigger guard and oiled it. Guess what works like a charm. It fires first time every time. you can fire independantly, or pull both hammers back and pull the trigger and they fire one after the other. It was wll worth the 20 bucks I spent for it. Whoever put it together did a great job. I have replaced the plastic grips with 1/4" white oak.

My experience parallels Zonie's. I had one of the pepperboxes and tinkered with it for years. I replaced the mainspring with a much heavier one which increased the pull weight to 30 pounds or so and it still wouldn't bust a cap. I studied that thing from every angle. I filed the hammer and frame to assure that the hammer was hitting the nipple square and hard but it just never would fire reliably. That's one I finally just gave up on. :shake:

Do yourself a HUGE favor and save your money. Having owned a few of their products, I would not cross the street for a free truckload of them. Even if they were recycled, they wouldn't make a good bumper on a Yugo. I could go on but I have no kind remarks. :barf: :barf: :barf:

The guns are pretty much junk. Although the Elgin cutlass pistol looked like it may intimidate a few folks. There was an outfit that advertised muzzleloading 410ga shotgun derringers in the Shotgun news about 5 years ago. Barrel lengths went from 4 inches to 20 inches They looked to be of even worse quality, if that is possible.

zimmerstutzen said:
The guns are pretty much junk. Although the Elgin cutlass pistol looked like it may intimidate a few folks. There was an outfit that advertised muzzleloading 410ga shotgun derringers in the Shotgun news about 5 years ago. Barrel lengths went from 4 inches to 20 inches They looked to be of even worse quality, if that is possible.
I bought opne of those for I think the price was around $50. I never live fired it, but did use it several times in civi war reenacting firing a blank round. They are kinda "farby". It has since been relegated to the back of my gun safe and safed as a possible trade item.

Back