• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleanest burning bp?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
Your question is reasonable.

Yes, there are fouling differences between the various brands of real black powders.

Probably the cleanest burning black powders are Swiss and Olde Eynsford. These powders are not only cleaner burning but they are slightly more powerful than the other brands.

GOEX, Schuetzen and KIK are less powerful and produce a larger amount of fouling.

GOEX is commonly the most available powder and is the one usually thought of by shooters in the US.
It is made in the US and the GOEX company also makes the Olde Eynsford powder.

GOEX also makes a "Reenactor Gunpowder".
They say it is mainly for shooting blank powder charges but it will work in any gun made for shooting real black powder.
I can't say how bad it is when it comes to fouling because I haven't shot any of it. I do understand that it is close to being a 2Fg powder but its grain size isn't controlled as accurately as the higher priced black powders. It is supposedly less costly and it would work fine in a C&B revolver.

Jackspowderkeg sells Jacks Battle Powder, a 3Fg powder he buys in bulk form and packages in cans with his company label on them. I'm pretty sure it is GOEX powder but it might be KIK.

Long ago and in a galaxy not so far away a company called Elephant also sold a lot of their black powder in the US.
Most of it was weak and it produced more fouling than any black powder I ever saw, before or since.
It was made in Brazil and its only saving grace was it was low cost.

Elephant went out of business because its land was worth more than the company. As I understand it, a company called Diamond has bought up the old Elephant equipment and is producing black powder for sale in the US.
The little I've read about Diamond powder seems to indicate they got the bad fouling under control and it's better now.
If you buy some and its bad fouling causes your gun to "lock up", don't blame ole' Zonie, ya' hear? :grin:

Zonie: Thanks for your response. You're right on track. Perhaps I should have asked about fouling instead of cleanest burning. In my mind, they are one in the same. Maybe I need to change the way I think. :hmm: And yes I was referring to black powder, not any of the substitutes. (i.e Pyro, 777, etc.)

everyone else: I did not ask about a clean burning black powder...that is obviously not a possibility. Anyone who's ever shot bp knows that.

Mike B. said:
Zonie said:
Your question is reasonable.

Yes, there are fouling differences between the various brands of real black powders.

Probably the cleanest burning black powders are Swiss and Olde Eynsford. These powders are not only cleaner burning but they are slightly more powerful than the other brands.

GOEX, Schuetzen and KIK are less powerful and produce a larger amount of fouling.

GOEX is commonly the most available powder and is the one usually thought of by shooters in the US.
It is made in the US and the GOEX company also makes the Olde Eynsford powder.

GOEX also makes a "Reenactor Gunpowder".
They say it is mainly for shooting blank powder charges but it will work in any gun made for shooting real black powder.
I can't say how bad it is when it comes to fouling because I haven't shot any of it. I do understand that it is close to being a 2Fg powder but its grain size isn't controlled as accurately as the higher priced black powders. It is supposedly less costly and it would work fine in a C&B revolver.

Jackspowderkeg sells Jacks Battle Powder, a 3Fg powder he buys in bulk form and packages in cans with his company label on them. I'm pretty sure it is GOEX powder but it might be KIK.

Long ago and in a galaxy not so far away a company called Elephant also sold a lot of their black powder in the US.
Most of it was weak and it produced more fouling than any black powder I ever saw, before or since.
It was made in Brazil and its only saving grace was it was low cost.

Elephant went out of business because its land was worth more than the company. As I understand it, a company called Diamond has bought up the old Elephant equipment and is producing black powder for sale in the US.
The little I've read about Diamond powder seems to indicate they got the bad fouling under control and it's better now.
If you buy some and its bad fouling causes your gun to "lock up", don't blame ole' Zonie, ya' hear? :grin:

Zonie: Thanks for your response. You're right on track. Perhaps I should have asked about fouling instead of cleanest burning. In my mind, they are one in the same. Maybe I need to change the way I think. :hmm: And yes I was referring to black powder, not any of the substitutes. (i.e Pyro, 777, etc.)

everyone else: I did not ask about a clean burning black powder...that is obviously not a possibility. Anyone who's ever shot bp knows that.

I need to apologize for the previous statement highlighted in red. After re-reading it...it comes across a bit snotty. Sorry about that!

Snotty is okay and is NOT offensive to the majority including me. JBP is manufactured by Goex and is different (don't ask me how) and I believe it has no graphite. My shooting with JBP has, in some rifles, given higher velocities. Accuracy is easily on par with Goex and I like it a LOT.

Back