• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tight_Wad had a post about cleaning a Rogers & Spencer, and the replies stated that it is not necessary to completely disassemble the revolver.

What about the Colt-style Uberti 1851 Navy? It is quiet easy to disassemble, but the screw for the trigger and bolt spring has a very shallow slot and get marred all the time I remove it.

So, would it be suffice to just clean barrel, cylinder, and nipples after each session and do the inner works like once or twice a year?

I'm shooting about 200 balls a month (have to much other irons to be engaged!) :: ::

I completely strip my pistols down once a year after shooting about the same as you. The rest of the time just the basics has worked for me for a number of years. :peace:

Take the wooden handles off your pistol. Break the Colt replica down into its three components: barrel, cylinder and frame. Run a patch with solvent down the barrel a few times and into each section of the cylinder. The put all three parts in the dishwasher, with the cylinder and the barrel vertical. Run it through a cycle, with dishes if you want, using normal soap and settings. When the metal has dried, but still is hot, take it out and spray it down with Rem oil or whatever. Grease the cylinder spindle and the hand and reassemble. I've been doing this for years and lots of rounds in the 1860 Army and she never shows any rust. :blue: graybeard

The trigger mechanism, sear, etc. in my Uberti Revolvers are not parts of an expensive Match Target Pistol---i.e. Pardini, Hammerli etc.- I use a non petroleum based solvent cleaner, lubricant TC301. I liberally spray the material in to the above mechanism and then an air blast followed by another short blast of TC301. The Barrel, Cylinder, Nipples and Frame get a treatment with Cabela's citrus based cleaner after a quick wash through with HOT water and dish detergent. The the gun is wiped down with an oiled rag ( Castrol or Kroil Oil), and a bore snake through the barrel also loaded with same oil. :m2c: :thumbsup:

Back