• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning brass without harming wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBONE said:
I have always had very good luck with "never dull"
Agree, pretty good stuff...it's been some time since I bought a can to try and recall getting the impression that it was a little pricey compared to how far a bottle of brasso would last, so I only use it sparingly and still have most of a can left...but there is definitely convenience in the polisher already being imbedded in soft cotton right out of the can.
Your post is a good reminder that I need to get it off the shelf and use it

This might sound crude but using ash from tobbaco products on a damp rag cleans brss really well, obtaining it from smokers is easy just dump in a coffe can the ashes. I have used it on many guns and it deffinatly does not damage wood finish, but does clean the brass very easily and quickly.

I used to clean my Hawken's brass for the first few years I had it. Just about anything mentioned here will do the trick and I'll add toothpaste to the list also. After a while I began to appreciate the tarnished look as old-timey like my rifle was. Not only did it give it more of a "period look" but it also doesn't reflect as brightly when I'm hunting with it. I have not polished it for 20 years now and have no plans on polishing any of my brass hardware again on any of my ML's. JMHO.

I've got a couple guns I don't shoot much and want to keep looking "new", let us say. I use Never Dull. Don't know about it being pricey though, I've had the same can for nearly 10 years. Using small pieces of it and a micro fiber towel to wipe off the excess, I've had no problems.

morehops said:
After a while I began to appreciate the tarnished look as old-timey like my rifle was. Not only did it give it more of a "period look" but it also doesn't reflect as brightly when I'm hunting with it.

That's my system as well. Wipe it off occasionally but otherwise mine is "patinaed" to about butternut color.

Answer: carefully. I use Simichrome.
However, I very rarely do polish the brass or silver on a rifle. I have a presentation grade Rev. period longrifle with beautiful engraving. It has been polished only once or twice since 1976 to preserve the engraving.

Back