• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning powder channel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is a powder channel? Do all guns have one?

I read that to get into the "powder channel" you have to use a smaller jag or brush.
I always thought the breech of a barrel just had a squared off end, not a slightly smaller channel for powder.

They wouldnt be talking about the the channel running from the nipple to the chamber, would they? Cuz theres no way in h#ll anything but a q-tip could fit in there on my rifle.

Thanks

Boone

Many of the hooked breach rifle have a "patent breach" which has a small powder chamber. At the back of this powder chamber is the vent that goes to the side of the breach plug for flint or percussion. T/C make a jag that has a step in it to get to the back of this chamber. Not sure if their jag works, I don't use one.

Also does anybody know if cabelas rifles have a powder channel?....manufactured by investarms.

Thanks again

Boone

IMHO, When cleaning your ML barrel, and by putting it in a pail of hot soapy water, and using a jag, and patch, pumping the hot soapy water thru the barrel, will clean any fouling from the flash channel. I have never used any special brush, or jag to clean the flash channel, and have no problems. T/C does make a breach plug scraper, which I have used, which will clean the powder well, but by using the hot water method of cleaning, I don't think it is needed.

breech.jpg

Examples of such a breech! I use a smaller brush & patch to clean out the chamber in my rifles, just to be safe! :thumbsup:

Davy

Thanks for the post. Always wondered what they looked like inside. How did they get that feller in there? No wonder he wears a helmet and has a scowl on his face.

gmww said:
Thanks for the post. Always wondered what they looked like inside. How did they get that feller in there? No wonder he wears a helmet and has a scowl on his face.

"Were gonna go thru here like cr%p thru a ah goose!" :shocked2: :redface:

Davy

Thanks Davy for the diagram.

I always just assumed that they were square breeched and the flash hole just came in from the side.
This explains why when I drop my ramrod down the barrel, and mark it, its still short in reaching the nipple and drum.
You learn something new everyday.
Ill have to get in there with something and maybe clean it as I dont do the bucket of water bit.

Thanks again all.

Boone

I have one of those ... but I now use a smaller caliber bore brush that fits the chamber size, as well as patches now to clean up with. :thumbsup:

Davt

Spoty said:
There is a special patent breach bronze brush just for that.
BH1023.jpg
The brush pictured actually works better on a flat faced breechplug. When running that brush into a patten breech the outer bristles will fold back and soon be useless. Cleaning a patten breech is best done with a regular bore brush of smaller caliber. Just how small depends on the make of gun. .38 caliber bore brushes work well in my T/C and Lyman .50's but my Crocket .32 requires a .22 caliber brush to get into the chamber.
I also use the bucket of hot soapy water cleaning procedure but I do not believe that removes all residue not actually touched by the patch. You can pump water through the barrel all day and still get black gunk when you run a patch into the powder chamber and a pipe cleaner through the flash channel. You have to actually touch the surface with a brush or tight patch to clean it, just forcing water over the surface don't get her done. :grin:

I accidently found a way that dislodges the crud out. While at the range once I was checking my barrel for spark after a quick cleaning. I had been using some black powder solvent and wanted to make sure the chanel was clear.

I stuck a patch down the barrel with the ramrod. I fired off a cap to see if I was getting any burnt pattern on the patch. I pulled it out and it was covered with that goose cr@p earlier described.

I figured the solvent must have softened it and the cap blew it out. I'm sure there was some stuff still there but at least it assisted in getting some of it out.

Popping a cap while still wet sounds like a good idea, why didn't I think of that? :grin:

my question is when you run your cleaner down the barrel be it water moosemilk ect would not some of the liquid run into the chamber? How do you dry out that part of the barrel if you do not have the proper brush? I had never heard of the chamber till on the forum so since I bought my Hawken last winter does that mean liquid has been setting that powder chamber all this time? :redface: :redface:

I generally do a final rinse with boiling water to heat the metal for fast drying. I've also sometimes set the breech end of the barrel over a stove burner to get it hot enough to dry. If you don't take some measure to dry out the chamber, then yes, it will be wet. With most bore cleaners that will not cause any rusting but would sure cause misfires if loaded while still wet.

Rebel said:
You can pour in a bit of alcohol or use some WD-40 to displace the water.

I use WD40 to displace water and then swab the bore with RIG Gun Grease
:grin:
Davy

I run a dry tight patch down back and forth. You'll hear the hissing in and out at the nipple hole as it blows out any moisture. After it sounds pretty dry, I'll use WD40 in it and do the hissing thing again.

My final thing is to put Kroil. Before I shoot at the range, I'll snap two or three caps with a dry patch pushed down to blow out any oil and see if I'm getting a spark. :thumbsup:

I've taken to using one of the CO2 ball dischargers after "final" cleaning to clear the flash channel. I also do it before firing at the next range session, too. This is in addition to "popping a few caps" after cleaning as well as before loading. Seems to work for me but your mileage may vary.

Back