• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning that little space at the bottom of the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get abrasive pipe cleaners from a smoke shop. The craft ones are all just fuzz, for actually cleaning a pipe there's some prickliness to them.

After you clean and oil your rifle, store it with the barrel pointing down. This helps keep oil from pooling up in the chambered breech. Before you load your first round at your next outing, plug the hole and pour a little alcohol down the barrel and do the flush out method with the alcohol. This removes any oil in the chambered breech that will collect fowling. I do this with my jukar rifle with great success. I also pick before every shot and can get 20 to 30 shots before I have any real issues with ignition problems.

I have so many different rifles with breeches that are hard to clean, I modified a pump up garden sprayer to be able to pressure wash the barrels. Made a stand that holds the rifle with muzzle lower than the breech and it does an excellent job of cleaning the bore and breech it only takes plain water then patches to dry it before using Barricade to protect. Since making the sprayer it takes less than 10 min. to get it spotless.
The oddest breech I have is a Thouvein Tige pillar breech on an old original German Jaeger 58 caliber that I restored. Here is a thread about it. The pictures are at the last page, I had to put those that I could find back in, thanks to Photo Bucket & Tinypic.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jaeger-project-rifle.93808/

sprayer 003.jpg

Latest posts

Back