• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning the rifled barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you clean your rifled barrel?

I usually swab well with lubed patches and then dry ones until they come out clean, then swab with oil when finished.

Do you use hot water, brass brush, solvents, etc.?"

Everybody has their favorite solvents and methods. I have never found anything I was completely happy with. Here in FL humidity is around 90% on a good day. I am now trying windex and so far looks promising. My problem is after rust, I assume from not getting the bore clean enough to begin with. I will post results when I am comfortable with them. At this time I will say I have never before seen anything desolve black powder fouling faster and more thorough and it leaves no residue behind.

I use hot soappy water and swab the barrel out.
Then dry patches followed by oil (inside and out)

I use Musketman's formula for cleaning even though I've heard lots of argument against using hot water. It gets the barrel plenty clean but after rust is the problem. If you get plenty of oil or grease totally coating the bore rust will be no problem.

I pour boiling water down the bore after scrubbing, then dry with a few clean patches, and last I smear a big gob of mink oil or wonder lube on a cleaning patch while the barrel is still warm from the hot water. The lube melts into the rifling and coats the bore nicely as I run it through a few times.

Horse Dr.

Is hot water the only thing that will get the barrel clean? I ask because so many people seem to use it. It just seems that water is the natural enemy of metal and promotes rust.

Cold water works well, Alcohol/Murphys oil soap works, window cleaner, your method of using lubed patches repeatedly is a good method, I suspect that in the past either tow or patches with grease or water were the most common method as this would get the crud out with the minimum exposure of the bore to a lot of water and making a quicker drying process possible. Some feel that the hot water is worse for rusting than the cold.
I like Murphys and alchohol my self and use the 90% alcohol... I never thought much of water in my gun barrel though I have used it and still do with the wet patch method from time to time.

Back