• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning your gun in between hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on muzzleloader care but I'm not clear on how extensively you need to clean your gun if you shoot today and plan to hunt again tomarrow. Tony

I clean the barrel and lock pretty well even if I'm shooting the next day. I've seen rust form overnight.

If I was hunting the next day I would want a clean gun to make that first shot as consistent as possible with how the rifle was sighted in.

Same here, if it's fired, it's completely broken down, cleaned, and lubed...period.

After getting into muzzleloading, and reading everything I could get my hands on, the common theme was always the speed at which corrosion could occur after firing a ML...so I made the
commitment to myself then and there that when I got home after firing a rilfe, I would not even sit down for supper or a cup of coffee until I had completely broken down, cleaned, and lubed the rifle.

(Plus, even you dared risk it, there's always the chance that something unexpected could come up to distract you away the next day or so it might then sit there 48hrs, 72hrs, etc, before you might get back and clean it).

So for me, if I fire it, I clean it...just like getting home with a tired out dog after hunting all day...the dog gets taken care of first, then I take care of myself.

I have some TC Hawkens I've used for a dozen years now and am proud to say that they're still in mint condition and accurate as the day I bought them

Back